Feeds

back to article The future's so bright, Google Glass now comes with shades

The queue to become a Glasshole just became a lot shorter: Google has put its tech specs on sale to US residents. The Chocolate Factory has made a rare post to Google+ in which it says “starting today anyone in the US can buy the Glass Explorer Edition." There's one catch: the sentence quoted above continues with "as long as we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

PSS?

With the onboard connectivity surely some kind of manual 'reactions' style tinting could be incorporated and activated when something unsavory appears?

We could finally have some proper peril sensitive sunglasses.

Silver badge

Re: PSS?

Not exactly what you meant, but...

With the capabilities of facial recognition these days, how hard would it be to automatically recognise fugly people? And then to have software 'auto-photoshop' a more attractive person in place of the fugly one?

Beer googles* FTW!

* Typo, but a good one so I'm not fixing it. :)

Re: PSS?

Peril sensitive sunglasses. Joo Janta 200 Super Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses, I assume he's referring to, which turn black at the first hint of trouble, allowing you to develop a relaxed attitude to danger by not letting you see anything that might alarm you.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is responsible for many such witticisms :D

$1500

I don't think Glass is expensive to try and turn a profit, after all it's not like they need the money. I think Google only want people who *really* want it to buy a pair, so price it accordingly.

It's a long way from being a consumer ready device, you can't even fold the arms and put it in your pocket. Also, the cost of the components is only one aspect of pricing strategy. The R&D and man hours going into the project must be costing a pretty penny. Glass updates are fairly frequent and the level of interactivity with the community from Google is high, and all that comes with a cost attached.

This topic is closed for new posts.