back to article WWI historical project will catalog eight million life stories

The UK's Imperial War Museums has kicked off a massive social networking project that will seek to catalog the lives of more than 8 million people who served or were killed in The Great War. The Lives of the First World War campaign is asking members of the public to contribute time, data, and historical artifacts to help …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Potemkine Silver badge

Good idea.

There's something similar in France, through the website "Mémoires des Hommes". Notably, there's an online database listing the 1.3 millions who died during WW1 with a scan of the official document giving the name, the unit, the moment and the cause of the death.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

Al least it doesn't say it was for "Muh Freedums!"

who served in the British and Commonwealth forces

"who were sliced and diced for the benefit of a few and the egos of democratic blowhards in a purely continental brawl" doesn't sound so well, innit?

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Al least it doesn't say it was for "Muh Freedums!"

Not entirely Continental, the brave boys of New Zealand were the second to conquer German territory in the Great War: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_German_Samoa

Not that it did the Samoans much good, but still.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

WW2 request

As a side note, the ThinkTank in Birmingham is building a new Spitfire exhibition and wants objects and stories related to it.

http://www.thinktank.ac/news.asp?itemid=4270&itemTitle=Spitfire+Gallery+Go-ahead+at+Thinktank&section=0001000100020015

4. Dave Pickles

D C Thomson

The site is run by the same firm as "Friends Reunited" and "Find my Past".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is run by them and unsuprisingly they now want your money, so I don't think I'll bother

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Catalogue

Catalogue

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My grandfather

Lied about his age to volunteer a year early, but the war was over before he even made it out of the US. Probably a good thing, or I might not be around!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like