back to article BSkyB eyes up Uncle Rupert's telly channels in Germany and Italy

Rupert Murdoch is locked in talks with BSkyB to discuss the British pay-TV firm's "potential acquisition" of Sky Deutschland and Sky Italia – both assets of his broadcasting empire, 21st Century Fox. The media baron's Fox, which also owns 39 per cent of BSkyB, confirmed this morning that it's discussing the future of its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. big_D Silver badge

One problem is that PayTV doesn't seem to be very popular over here (Germany). Cable seems to do okay, because the basic channels are bundled in the Internet and telephone package. But I don't know anyone who has an extended cable package or anyone with satellite that uses PayTV, they all seem to use the FTA channels (about 50).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"One problem is that PayTV doesn't seem to be very popular over here (Germany)."

Where's the problem? Perhaps the lack of success is why Murdoch wants equity investors to buy the manky assets off of him? The tame management at BSkyB are only too happy to oblige, Murdoch adds more money to his vast pile of cash, and powerless small investors in BSkyB wonder why their management are paying good money for old rubbish.

The only negative surprise in all of this was reading that Murdoch was still in the land of the living.

2. Michael Habel

One problem is that PayTV doesn't seem to be very popular over here (Germany). Cable seems to do okay, because the basic channels are bundled in the Internet and telephone package. But I don't know anyone who has an extended cable package or anyone with satellite that uses PayTV, they all seem to use the FTA channels (about 50).

I do pay for Cable for Animax, and NASN -> ESPN America (Baseball & NFL), but since the former has crapped out, and the latter left for an exclusive contract to become BT-Sports. I'm left pondering to ditch my Cable contract, and just get Crunchyroll, and Lovefilm + a VPN to access the US Netflix + and the UK iPlayer. Again since the spot beam on Astra 2F/E has shrunk, and has basically robbed me of the only decent things to watch BBC1/2 & 4.

I never actually gave Internet streaming much great thought. But, in a world without USA Quality broadcasting. (ABC, CBS, NBC & Fox et-al), Its not like I'm missing much anyway. The German Channels like RTL, Sat.1 & Pro7 (amongst others), are for the terminally dim. I really could care less that some androgynous she'im just won some freak show contest. But, that's the kinds'a shit my Parents watch when I go over to visit 'em on Sunday.

State TV over here. Makes the BBC look like a fu--n' godsend. and it will be missed. But. Cable as it is a feckin waste of money! Then again so is TV Licensing.

1. big_D Silver badge

I tend to mainly watch ARD and ZDF (plus the regionals) - Tatort is probably the only show I try not to miss.

1. Michael Habel

For me that would be the ARD Morgenmagazin (Mostly for the Weather), that, and the Tageschau. They can keep the rest of it. The only decent thing to ever come from that lot were "The Mouse" & and Bernd das Brot. I can actually relate well with him.... (He's on KiKa after dark.)

Otherwise its a mix of Animax (Anime), and SyFi for me. Neither are that interesting TBH. Fox is good too for The Walking Dead, but thats over till the Fall too. So... So much for TV then...

2. MJI Silver badge

Pay TV is a pain

They are parasites on top of FTA TV

1. Michael Habel

Re: Pay TV is a pain

Why all the hate for PayTV? If a Channel is good I'm willing to pay to use it. If its not I won't Simples.

I have had the pleasure to peruse BSkyB's warez, a few Years back. I have to say that most of you lot were correct to say that even with Sky you'd still likely hang 'round 80% the time on the Beeb. That was certainly true for me back then as well.

At least you lot don't have to pay £50.00 EVERY fecking year to watch the likes of Channels 4 & 5 in HD. Unlike us Germans who have to get a CI+ and, a HD+ Card who do!

1. big_D Silver badge

Yeah, I must admit, I looked at the HD options for K1, RTL Sat.1 and Vox and ended up thinking that the upscaling on the TV was sufficient and the tripe they output certainly wasn't worth 50 quid!

1. Michael Habel

Yeah, I must admit, I looked at the HD options for K1, RTL Sat.1 and Vox and ended up thinking that the upscaling on the TV was sufficient and the tripe they output certainly wasn't worth 50 quid!

Let alone 50p or should that be 0.50€ Cents?

2. MJI Silver badge

Hates

1) You have to go through Murdoch in the UK

2) You still get adverts.

3) You have to go through Murdoch in the UK

4) I can get logo free HDTV free to air with good programmes.

3. Steve Foster
    Big Brother

"Media Plurality Concerns"

Hmmm, seems more likely that a reduced Murdoch influence (currently he has 100% of Sky DE & IT, and this would be cut to an indirect 40% [via his BSkyB stake]) would be seen as a positive move.

1. Michael Habel

Re: "Media Plurality Concerns"

Thing is I don't think his (Murdoch's) Satellite Service is all that great here in German to start with. the fact that you can't use a Dish 90% of the time. Because its VERBOTEN! or you just have the rotten luck to be on the wrong side.. probably ain't helping much. The Cable providers do carry Sky though for the most part, though not everything.

What they don't do is carry the FTA HD stuff like WDR, HR3 etc that's on 19.2°E right now, but most wouldn't know about it because they have no way to access it. But, that didn't stop those greedy GEZ ****ers from making off with over 9 Billion Euros in License revenue last year. And, unlike you lot. EVERYBODY PAYS here now. It don't matter jack if you live in a hut with nothing in it. All you need is a regesterd address to get the Bill! >:(

Say what you will about Pay TV... But Pay TV at least gives you the option of telling them to go fourth and multiply. You can't do that with the GEZ!

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: "Media Plurality Concerns"

The UK is the same as Germany. You have to pay for the state TV, then you have to pay again for the Pay TV.

AFAIK the GEZ is "only" mandatory if you have a TV, a radio or an internet connected computer or a smartphone, according to the GEZ site. If you can demonstrate that you don't have any of them...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sky internet TV crashes during Premier League finale

"Thousands of football fans were left fuming after a pay-as-you-go service to watch the Premier League over the internet crashed during yesterday’s thrilling climax to the season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/now-tv-crash-football-fans-3529675

This topic is closed for new posts.