back to article Securo-borg FireEye coughs $70m to buy 'flight-recorder-for-networks' tech

Security vendor FireEye has bought network forensics firm nPulse Technologies in a $70m deal. FireEye is stumping up $60m in cash and $10m in stock to get its hands on nPulse, a privately held startup that boasts it offers the industry's fastest full packet capture and indexing technology. nPulse’s forensics will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BertyBoy

Doesn't seem to have done much for their share price - down 25%

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flight recorder for security analytics ..

"FireEye is stumping up $60m in cash and $10m in stock to get its hands on .. the industry's fastest full packet capture and indexing technology"

So in order to function, this technology will have to decode SSH traffic on the fly, through the use of some kind of man-in-the-middle process. Which begs the question as to how diluting security is somehow going to advance security.

“The new reality of security is that every organisation has some piece of malicious code within their network”

And we all know the reason .. it's virtually impossible to secure a Windows network ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Flight recorder for security analytics ..

.....spoken like someone who does not know the 1st thing about Windows security.

Now before you tell me that I know nothing....I use both Windows and Linux every day, and know them both extremely well. Personally, you'd better be an SELINUX guru if you want to compete, because 600 or 700 hardly compares to the depths of Windows security.

I'm sure your Windows goggles are from your experience of having to deal with check-collecting sys admins that have virtually no idea about the very OS they support. But if you haven't come across some wanna be Linux fool that uses root/root or never patches their system, then you probably haven't looked hard enough. .....and don't even get me started on lame LAMP servers. Better back that up with some ModSecurity.

Besides, it isn't about the OS as much as it is about defense-in-depth.

3. ben_myers

Flight data recorders are good ideas...

I wonder when Windows will have a flight data recorder? Windows event logs are useless collections of crypto-crap, undecipherable by humans.

This topic is closed for new posts.