back to article Oculus rips ZeniMax over claims of Carmack foul play

Facebook-owned virtual reality house Oculus VR is hitting back over claims that the firm hired away id Software's John Carmack in order to swipe intellectual property from parent company ZeniMax. In a statement provided to El Reg on Monday, Oculus issued a point-by-point denial of the claims that Carmack defected from id with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Michael Gumby

He said, She said.

This is why we have courts , juries and trials.

The interesting thing is what isn't being said by Oculus

1. James Hughes 1

Re: He said, She said.

And what, prey, are Occulus not saying?

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Re: He said, She said.

I don't know...

That's why there's this thing called discovery ...

2. YARR
    Unhappy

I hope QuakeCon is independent of ZeniMax, or there'll be no more Carmack keynotes.

3. Salts

Ah, a chance to post a link

This was on the Raspberry Pi blog last week, as it involves Oculus gives a chance to spread it, it is quite funny, though probably better if you where there, it's called living with lag and is actually an advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_fNp37zFn9Q

4. nematoad

Ah ...

Now we know that Oculus is really "hard core" big business.

Got a dispute about something?

Need to get things straight with a competitor?

Don't like what the other guy is up to?

Don't talk, don't negotiate like reasonable human beings.

No! Call in the lawyers!

After all, we have more money than we know what to do with, and cutting prices is a sign of weakness. So, full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!

Obviously, there are two different worlds to live in. One for big business and the other for the poor saps who provide all that lovely cash.

1. Bronek Kozicki
      Thumb Down

Re: Ah ...

I must have missed something in the article, do you care to point me where does it say "ZeniMax sued by Oculus"?

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I thought this was about Carmack

Who is this Palmer Luckey they mention ?

In any case, if all the source code is available on the Web, I think this is going to be pretty much an open-and-shut case.

And apparently Zenimax is in good standing to lose, because you don't publish code online that contains unlicensed IP. That would be a suicide note.

1. Thomas Whipp

Re: I thought this was about Carmack

There is a big difference between IP and code. While cut and paste code is always going to constitute IP theft, it is possible to infringe IP while writing completely new code.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a programmer I find that a company trying to own my brain is obscene.

7. Levente Szileszky

"canceled VR support (...) when(...) refused Zenimax's demands for a non-dilutable equity"...

...OUCH - that sounds VEEERY NASTY, if true.

This topic is closed for new posts.