back to article Docker ported into Hadoop as benchmarks show SCREAMING FAST performance

The Hadoop community is working on patches that will bring the popular app-containerization technology Docker into the data management system, and independent benchmarks are showing the tech has a huge speedup over traditional virtualization approaches. Docker is an open source Linux containerization technology that uses …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
WTF?

Let me get this straight...

The purpose of docker so that you can run applications off of a virtualized file system, which runs on Hadoop, which in turn runs on a Linux kernel. And all this just to avoid having more than one copy of libc/jave/python/etc. on a machine. What is wrong with just using chroot?

Although I suppose that when all you have is hadoop, everything looks like a big data problem.

Silver badge

Re: Let me get this straight...

What is wrong with just using chroot?

Everything.

chroot doesn't help you in packaging a runtime configuration; indeed it forces you to into additional configuration complexity.

Bronze badge

Sounds a lot like App-V but without the streaming capabilities.

Anonymous Coward

"Sounds a lot like App-V but without the streaming capabilities."

No - more like Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services). Nowhere near as advanced as App-V.

You young 'uns don't know nuffink

So the penguinistas have learnt that virtualizing the whole stack is expensive, eh?

Wasn't this what Solaris Containers tried to tell them, oh, five or six years ago?

And didn't the beards in IBM-land say as much in about 1975?

Just sayin'.

Silver badge

Re: You young 'uns don't know nuffink

> 1975

Heh.

Anonymous Coward

Is it near to Azure?

Have they caught up to the performance of Azure yet?

Oh wait.

It's not true virtualisation and can't run Windows; double epic fail.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it near to Azure?

"Have they caught up to the performance of Azure yet?"

Not with a bare metal Linux based Hypervisor. Hyper-V significantly outperforms and outscales any production Linux hypervisor.

Docker might close that gap a bit for VDI type environments, but it's more like a copy of small parts of App-V / and most of Remote Desktop Services than a proper Hypervisor. And pretty much no one wants Linux for VDI anyway.

Linux

There is another implementation of this...

Ferry is an attempt to create docker containers generic enough to host big data stacks.

https://github.com/opencore/ferry

The nice thing of LXC is that most of functionality is in user space and it takes less time to blossom something that is actually usable. That's a huge advantage of containers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums