Feeds

back to article Hackers ZERO IN on ZOMBIE XP boxes: Get patching, Internet Explorer 8 users

A newly uncovered attack specifically targeting out-of-support Windows XP machines running Internet Explorer 8 is being used to hack potential victims in multiple industries across Europe and North America, according to security researchers. This is the first “in the wild” attack spotted against Windows XP after Microsoft pulled …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Well, since various government users have subscribed to extended XP support, MS can just as well make it available globally.

Next time...

...the plumber is around your house can you send him round mine? I'm sure you won't mind picking up the bill too would you?

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Next time...

The question is, why does XP even NEED support. After more than ten years, should it functionality not be restricted by safe & secure?

Perish the thought.

Re: Next time...

I'd be quite happy to pay for my own patches. Only, I'm not allowed to: Extended support is not available to everyone - and even those who are entitled to buy it have to come up with a justification for Microsoft to take several hundred dollars a year - per PC - off their hands. Yeah, seriously!

Microsoft can go hang, as far as I'm concerned. What I'm hoping for is a serious power outage in a first-world country, caused by viruses infecting (or hackers breaking into) a non-supported XP system.

When push came to shove, politicians spent billions of dollars on a banking system that is somehow "too big to fail" - well now, let's see the same done for all businesses based on XP.

At the end of the day, Windows and Office are licenced, not sold. If flaws in the product allow malicious abuse of those products - and Microsoft decides to do nothing about it, they stand a very good chance of being sued into the ground for defects in their product. They already made their bed by arguing that software licences do not confer end user ownership, so this could get quite interesting if a few power networks get hacked into - and a few grids are brought down.

I have no intention of giving Microsoft an easy time: I will carry on running XP for as long as its useful lifetime permits me to.

Silver badge

eXtended Patching

Let's see MS try and argue why they're not offering an update for this exploit just after they've gone and made an update for another exploit freely available.

Re: eXtended Patching

This is the same exploit.

Silver badge
FAIL

D'oh!

MJI
Silver badge

Been patched today

And Ithought they EOLed it.

Perhaps Mint can wait a little longer

Where's the surprise? This is nothing short of a protection racket.

So MS withdraw support.

MS announce vulns, and that they affect now unsupported MS products.

Hackers have a field day

Numerous nefarious actors must be thanking their lucky stars that MS's drive to force people to buy new versions of its OS apparently absolves MS from any responsibility for defects in its past products (still used on 30% of PCs).

Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's the surprise? This is nothing short of a protection racket.

You obviously are not aware, but Microsoft already patched this hole in XP too.

Silver badge

Re: Microsoft already patched this hole in XP too.

Which is why MS should really wave the white flag and surrender to XP users. Charge them $120 for another three years of patch support and be done with it. Maybe by then enough kit will have failed and been replaced that they can kill it. But probably not before then.

Let's face it the only reason most people buy the newer OSes is either that's what came on the brand name kit at the big box store or the equipment manufacturer is no longer writing XP drivers for their kit. Otherwise most folks would just trundle along using XP because it is fit for their purpose.

This topic is closed for new posts.