The chief technology officer of recently-acquired-by-VMware mobile management outfit AirWatch has outlined Virtzilla's plans for one management console to rule them all across mobile devices, desktops of all flavours, applications and even data. Kit Colbert, VMware's chief technology officer for end-user computing, yesterday …
"Sysdamins want one console to manage data, applications and security no manner what device an end-user decides to use."
And what they generally use to do it is SCCM. I can't see VMWare being more than a niche player in this market.
"“I like to describe Windows as a bit of a hairball,” he added. “When you install an application it just tattoos the system and installs registry keys and installs DLLs … and what it leads to is this image management solution situation for administrators where you have to go and install everything together to make sure that it works.”"
That's what APP-V is for.
- HALF A BILLION TERRORISTS: WhatsApp encrypts ALL its worldwide jabber
- HUMAN DNA 'will be FOUND ON MOON' – rocking boffin Brian Cox
- Bang! You're dead. Who gets your email, iTunes and Facebook?
- YOU are the threat: True confessions of real-life sysadmins
- Blackpool hotel 'fines' couple £100 for crap TripAdvisor review