back to article Target finally implements chip and PIN card protections

Embattled US big-box retailer Target, still struggling to handle one of the largest and most expensive card heists in history, is implementing chip and PIN payment card systems for its stores. The company on Tuesday said that it will be working with MasterCard to move all of its REDcard customer cards over to chip and PIN …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Swarthy
    Paris Hilton

Wait.. Target is covering Credit monitoring for those affected? How does one sign up for that? Between my wife and I, three of our cards were compromised via Target, so we should qualify.

1. PacketPusher

An e-mail was sent out,but you had to sign up before April 23. I got the e-mail on January 15. I also remember getting a snail mail letter too, but I don't remember when.

creditmonitoring.target.com

2. joed

Why would you risk giving away your confidential data to another entity that can get hacked or just abuse this information (they ask for more than just your name and email). Also the "service" is usually short term (are you going to change your name, ssn etc). It's catch 22 and the stupid idea of credit rating forces people that have absolutely no desire (or need) to participate in the scheme that's rigged to benefit banks and lawyers (why it's my business to worry about someone that opens account in my name, shouldn't this be responsibility of the institution that did not validate identity?). The only option is to limit amount of info we "volunteer" and number of third parties we provide it to.

3. Stevie

Bah!

Never got an e-mail from Target because I use Visa, not their card, but got a new card from my bank because Target had emailed *them*.

I'd only shopped there once too.

>8o(

2. Swarthy
    Happy

On another note...

I hope the Chip & PIN cards proliferate over here. The swipe&sign method is... not reliable at preventing (and only marginally better at identifying) fraud.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Use credit cards only

Fraud prevention is the bank's problem, at least with credit cards. That's why I only use credit cards for purchases, and never debit cards. I wouldn't even have a debit card if my stupid bank stopped issuing regular ATM cards about 5-6 years ago and requires my bank card be a debit card. But I never use it as such.

Not to say I don't do what I can to prevent my cards being compromised, but if they do get comprised, other than a small hassle to call them up and tell them which charges I made and have the card deactivated until they can send me a new one, I don't spend any time worrying about whether some place I've made purchases at has been compromised or not.

1. Hud Dunlap
        Coat

Re: Use credit cards only

I agree with you on debit cards but I told my bank I would go elsewhere if I had to take a credit card. I guess I am lucky I live in an area with good competition.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On another note...

I found a Walmart with a chip and pin card reader two weeks ago, first time I've seen that.

3. DougMac

Re: On another note...

Visa & MC have a October 2015 deadline to offer one form of the EMV cards anyway, so it isn't like this is a huge initiative from Target, they'd have had to do it anyway.

Although initially the chip & sign form is what is set to happen in the US, but this breech and others have people asking more about chip & pin EMV more often now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Target has long been an advocate for the widespread adoption of chip-and-PIN card technology," said Target CFO and executive vice president John Mulligan"

...........although few believed him, and the evidence was also stacked against his outrageous claim.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You miss the point.

The point is that the fraud risk is transferred from the merchant, processor and bank, to you.

1. Stevie

Re: You miss the point.

"The point is that the fraud risk is transferred from the merchant, processor and bank, to you."

I would doubt that, at least here in New York. In order to do that the card issuer has to demonstrate that the cardholder has behaved irresponsibly - giving out the pin, lending out the card, losing the card and not reporting it lost in a timely manner etc.

Fraud is never initially the victims fault. Even in America.

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: You miss the point.

"Fraud is never initially the victims fault. Even in America."

Until the corporate-backed lawyers decide it is...

4. Old Handle

That's a step up I guess, but as long as we're moving away from plain magnetic strips I would rather have a system where you digitally sign the complete transaction including quantity, recipient and a time stamp.

5. kain preacher

Funny, the local target I use to shop at has hand chip and pin for three years. But here is the catch find a CC in the us that used chip and pin, then find one that does it by default. Far as I'm aware only chase and amex does it in the US, but you have to ask .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ours has had the machines for years, but they don't work. Eg, I've tried my Citi card with it, and it just errors out.

2. O RLY

AMEX is chip and sign, not chip and PIN

There are very few chip and PIN cards in the US.

3. Paul Wells

Nope, neither Chase nor Amex offer a chip & PIN card in the US. If you're willing to jump through hoops you may be able to get a chip & signature from them, but at the moment there's only two credit unions which offer the real deal.

6. Chris Gray 1
    Go

Target C & P fine in Canuckland

Just bought some printer paper at the new local Target here. They have been equipped with Chip & Pin readers (which also do swipes, but not bonks) since they opened. They replaced most of the old Zellers stores.

7. Daedalus
    FAIL

Meet the new cards...

...same as the old cards.

Just got a new card here in the USA, and..

Yes!

We have no

Chip contacts

We have no chip contacts today!

1. JCitizen
      FAIL

Re: Meet the new cards...

That is probably just as well. With these kinds of crooks, Cowchip-N-Pen is just a speed bump!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Hey USA

I have a call from 2005 for you, something about a credit card technology?

9. Phil W

two factor?

Chip and Pin is fine as we here in the UK kmow from using it for years. But it's not really accurate to call it two factor authentication is it?

In most 2FA systems you have a user id and a preset password then a randomly generated code from a separate security device or app, with a chip and pin card the card acts as your user id and the PIN as your password no further knowledge/information/device required.

Where's the second authentication?

1. richardcox13

Re: two factor?

With chip & pin the two factor is (1) something you have (the card) and (2) something you know (the PIN).

With online it is something like (1) something you know (password) and (2) something you have (mobile to receive the second code).

Three factor systems add something you are (a biometric).

1. Phil W

Not really that's my point, all the card/chip provides is what is effectively the user ID in the form of account details. You authenticate that you are the identified person by providing the password (the PIN).

Not having the card prevents you from even trying to access the related account because you have no information about it. Much as you can't try and log in to an email account without knowing the username/email address.

Providing a user ID/account number whether in the form of a card or simply knowing it, is not a level of authentication. It is akin to gaining access to a secure building by simply telling the guard your name, and them just taking your word for it and not seeing any other proof or validating information.

If you think that username+password= 2 factor authentication then clearly Google and many others who provide 2FA apps are actually doing 3 factor auth.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

I don't think anyone has figured out how to copy the chip yet, therefore a successful transaction "proves" you have the card.

10. Mike 9

I really don't like using my CC in the USA due to the lack of security. Too many times you can just swipe and no one checks my ID or signature.

However, just last week my card got blocked by anti-fraud detection when I tried using it in the same Target twice!

1. Tom 13

@ Mike 9

Because of the other weaknesses in the system, the anti-fraud is more dependent on behavioral checks. One of them is that if you make a small purchase and shortly thereafter make a large purchase, you get flagged for possible fraud.

Discovered this the hard way at a repair shop. I had an old junker I could use while the main car was in the shop. One day I stopped in to check on the repairs. As I was turning in I noticed the gas gauge was low so I stopped to fuel up first and paid by card at the pump, then parked the car. Other car was finished, so I attempted to pay with the same card. BAM! Spent 10 minutes on the phone before they'd clear the card and accept the charge.

11. roger stillick
    FAIL

Targets New Cards

No Security at Target means it's my credit union's cash card, or cash, or nothing...

IMHO= the end of Target and others like them that are simply too unsafe to shop at...RS

12. RainbowTrout

About time.... When back visiting the UK I get funny looks from the people taking my payments because my VISA debit card has no chip and my AMEX card has a chip but is not the right sort.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

US cards in the UK

I get more than funny looks- I get a complete refusal to accept US credit cards at small pubs, restaurants, and shops in the North. To the point I had to go through many, may hoops to re-open a UK bank account and get a chip and pin debit card to use with it.

And now Natwest have informed me that I can no longer have a debit card with a savings account and will need to open a current account. Fun and games.

As far as I can tell only big multinationals (hotels, car rental) and places in tourist areas ever see US swipe cards any more. The girl at the register at a Tesco had never seen a swipe card before and had no idea what to do with it.

13. ecofeco Silver badge

God bless the American way

First hurt a lot of people. The more the better.

Then make needed changes. Claim mea culpa and la ti da.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like