Feeds

back to article Brit IT workers are so stressed that 'TWO-THIRDS' want to quit

About two-thirds of IT workers quizzed in a new poll are so stressed, they want to quit their jobs. The survey, conducted in the UK on behalf of GFI Software and published this month, found that 67 per cent of tech bods consider their job stressful, while some 68 per cent want to quit. 36 per cent of the 200 respondents said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Because most of them are worried their jobs may be outsourced, threats of redundancy and that they are being asked to do more with less and for longer.

They do not have a monopoly on stress, pretty much everyone is in the same boat.

I dont entirely agree with the thought that we are worried about job security.

I am more worried about making dates and dealing with disconnects between teams. I think the only time job security would enter my mind is if I let too many delivery dates slip.

Anonymous Coward

Except of course if you are in a public services IT department with short working hours long breaks and little to do except spend your working hours between 9.30am and home time at 3.30pm and 9.30 to 12.30 on a Friday reading El Reg and generally surfing the net for discount vouchers.

These obviously account for the third that have no worries or stress.

As it is now 9.15am I expect the down votes to peak at around 11.55 just before they go for the obligatory 1 hour 30 minute lunch break. Afternoon down votes are generally slow as they digest their large meal.

Oh, yes, right, like the 40+ hours of overtime that I've had to put in to my local government IT job this month, and more needed next month to keep things running ... and not leaving work until 4am some mornings during telephony system upgrades ...

...and someone in the private sector moaned at me the other day because they'd taken a hit from 45k to 35k and i had to tell them that they're still a fair few grand above me. Take you're private/public crap and kindly put it somewhere that the sun doesn't shine.

Silver badge

@msknight

I can hear a symphony of violins playing in the background....

If you're on less than 35K you could easily find a new job with better pay (unless you kinda suck at programming). There are way more jobs than decent programmers.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @msknight

And a private sector IT worker would have done the job more efficiently and in less than half the time, as they are paid for their performance.

@Larsg I don't ask for violins playing ... just for anonymous cowards to stop spaffing utter jibberish.

@Ac - Oh, you crack me up! You really do! Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to stop reading the reg and get on with some work :-)

Silver badge

Up voted for being honest.... With all that overtime you earn you'll be able to book a great holiday while signed off on the sick.... through stress.

@larsg @bearden - actually I started in programming, then went to hardware maintenance as a European engineer and now I'm technical lead on a multi-customer cloud telephony project ... and there are actually days when I get up and look forward to coming to work because I'm "engaged" with what I do, and that is worth the few grand loss at the moment. However, I could do with a holiday ... now where'd I put that sick form...

Walk a mile in his shoes, then you can complain, esp if they're too tight.

@Caaaptaaaain kick arse - in my case they'd be complaining about the strain on the legs after wearing high heels all day ... or on second thoughts, knowing some people in IT ... maybe not!

Silver badge

> I've got to stop reading the reg and get on with some work (published an hour ago, at the time I write this)

same person wrote this, 39 minutes ago:

> @larsg @bearden - actually I started in programming ...

So what happened to the work?

Newsflash! and again, just now:

> @Caaaptaaaain kick arse - in my case

So is that you done for the day?

And yes: this IS a case of "I've been watching that (insert job title of manual worker here) for the past half an hour and he/she/it hasn't done a stroke of work". But then again, I'm sitting here in a sunny Andalucia: the birds are tweeting (mostly inane comments about food or nests), not a cloud in the sky and the bells on distant sheep can be heard wafting across the countryside. Bliss.

@Pete 2 - rebuild(s) going on. Couresy of sccm. Bring back ZEN works!

I could actuall add that you're a right one to talk ... but then ... I wouldn't stoop as low as you ... oh ... wait...

Anonymous Coward

40+ hours of overtime

Of course they are paying you overtime rates for that aren't they? If not and you are doing it for nothing (or not overtime rates) you just have yourself to blame.

Re: 40+ hours of overtime

@notauser - and you're bashing me for what exactly? I get bashed for being lazy, then bashed for doing overtime, bashed because I actually do like my job enough to not want to give it up for a few grand more ... what are you going to bash me for next? Giving a fuck? ... 'cause here's the kicker! I don't!

@Pete 2 - Andaluca - lucky you; you've probably worked hard for it, and good luck to you. me? I'll be enjoying two weeks in a static caravan in the New Forest ... again.

The sad thing is that you feel the need to look down on me from on high and berate me for things that you think are happening, but in reality you haven't got much of a clue as to who I am, or what I do.

Now that's what I call sad, and why I don't give a fuck about what you say about me in here.

Anonymous Coward

Who's bashing you? You're the one whining about working 40+ hours of overtime, if you're not getting compensated properly for your time it's your own fault.

@notauser - Nice try. Now go back and read it properly ... from the start ....

Anonymous Coward

Oh I read it all, so you're willing to work for less money because it makes you feel warm and cuddly?

OK, so why are you complaining about working long hours and making less money than everyone else?

Silver badge

> in reality you haven't got much of a clue as to who I am, or what I do.

En contrario, mi amiga!

I can assume your gender, that you wear high heels for an IT job (which leads to conclusions of it's own - but let's not go there). I know that you are IT-literate and I know where you are going on holiday and roughly how much you earn. I also know that you have a lot of time on your hands, right now. That's as well as feeling stressed and overworked (which leads to yet more conclusions that I'm too polite to dig in to) and that you feel very, very defensive about your work: which leads to more conclusions, too.

And all that is only what you've divulged to the world in a few posts on a single morning. Who needs to go snooping when people volunteer so much personal info without even being asked?

@Pete 2

Actually ... I'm wearing ankle boots which have rounded heels for driving. OK, I'm IT literate but I don't have much time on my hands. I am snatching the dead time that happens between installations; I'm a 70wpm typist, I just ramble quickly ...

I'm also not stressed and I'm just defensive about moronic claims from people who think they know the truth about my job and what life is like in the public sector when in reality they know sweet FA.

I thought you were an IT pro; and you tell me that you beleive everything you read on the internet?

Also, I'm actually transsexual; I have worn suit and heels in my time on this planet, and I left my nearly-silver status after a discussion more than a year ago. This very thread is just more proof that I should have not bothered to comment again; partaking in some discussions is just not worth the grief.

Truth? Lie? Do I care? No. Believe what you like.

Silver badge

"actually I started in programming, then went to hardware maintenance"

You mean you were a crap programmer so they put you in charge of humping PCs around the building and plugging in cables.

"now I'm technical lead"

Oooh , get you! You'll be CEO before you know it.

"multi-customer cloud telephony project"

Cloud telephony? As in internet telephony perhaps? As in you need some sort of network for phones to work unless you plan on using 2 baked bean tins and some string?

Silver badge

"Also, I'm actually transsexual"

Nobody fucking cares. Spare us the right-on political agenda angle.

FAIL

Having observed 35 years of the private sectors involvement in State IT projects I'd call the above post absolute bullshit.

Bronze badge

Ah, yes. The obvious troll. *YAWN*

More than that!

There was a great article last year written how IT always backstabs itself to death in a rotating wheel of futile wannabe trends and this vicious circle never stops.

When working in IT right away I can do away with those new trendy keywords the industry always uses.

Canned responses instead of putting the human touch on things.

Forgetting to keep the company intranet simple with the least amount of clicks with the least amount or no cascading style sheet tricks that make the older generation cringle in fear on mouse overs.

Pay attention to the customer and make new policies that dating with co workers is terms for being fired - no need to have war of the sexes while on the job.

The IT manager always has the latest hardware for Microsoft Office but the account admin has a pc that is 5 years old.

Allowing new hires to take vacation or time off and they have not even met their 6 months at the company yet.

All dept head teams have close access to the building but all IT employees must park very far away from the building and no emergency park area for IT for those dead computer emergencies for quick repairs or pc swaps.

IT should get their own lunch rooms so other depts do not hear the chitter chatter about people who treat their pc like crap.

IT dept is always the last part of the company to get their carpets replaced.

Shoving IT under boiler pipes looking like a scene out of nightmare on elm street(georgetown university in downtown washington D.C.)

Holmes

@Bearden: 'There are way more jobs than decent programmers.'

Shouldn't that be 'There are way more crap jobs than decent and crap programmers put together.'?

Silver badge

If you're earning 35K....

and you've been in the industry for more than a year, then you're probably crap and not even worth that.

Go become a barista or something.

The industry needs good programmers. There is no real use for a "lower tier" of reduced capability players. These are the people that break stuff and leave a mess that more competent, and higher paid, people have to fix.

Thumb Up

Spot on. I worked for a year in the Public Sector with 60-70 IT bods. By 3:30 on a Friday I had the whole office to myself.

Silver badge

Biased from the start

The actual title of the survey is the IT Admin Stress Survey", wouldn't that on its own set the footing for negative responses?

If the title had been "IT Admin - Satisfaction within the role" even though the questions were exactly the same I am sure the results would have been different.

In the key finding they only list the negative responses even though there were some quite happy IT admins.

This appears more to be some poor attempt at preparing the scene for hiring their "unstressed staff" or to encourage employers to come to GFI for support rather than "further stress" in-house staff.

Smells like the cat's supper.

Silver badge

Re: Biased from the start

"In the key finding they only list the negative responses even though there were some quite happy IT admins."

I suspect the pool of happy IT workers is a much smaller scale than the ocean of unhappy, stressed IT workers. I'm not biased - I don't work in IT any more, and I just sit on the outside looking in, with good contacts who are on the inside and are feeling the pain.

However, rather than worrying about the motives of the survey's commissioner, the two pieces of jigsaw that I'd put together are the skills shortage that IT employers spend entire lifetimes carping about, and the fact that said IT employers often treat their staff like s**t. CIO's probably don't read the Reg (1), but if they did then the message would be that if they managed their staff with competence and respect, they wouldn't then spend 80% of their working time fighting to cover vacancies, pi55ing off users and fellow managers with cr@p service, or embroiled in life-sapping recruitment exercises.

Note 1: I suspect some CIO's do. But like a useless manager reading a Dilbert cartoon, they laugh without realising that they are the butt of the joke.

Unhappy

Re: Biased from the start - That moment of realization

"Note 1: I suspect some CIO's do. But like a useless manager reading a Dilbert cartoon, they laugh without realising that they are the butt of the joke."

Wait... that's me... *sobs quietly until home-time*

At times because of management's bad choices, not always because of the job

I definitely considered quitting a few years ago, before I became self employed. I worked on a project which had very interesting technologies involved and could have easily been delivered long before the deadline. But a few people's decision to chuck every possible framework available on the Internet in it made it become hell on Earth. Any simple database SQL query had to be programmed using XML or Java annotations because Hibernate HAD to be used. Which added complexity and verbosity, and a magic touch of worse performance. All so that any variable with the same name of the corresponding table could be automatically populated - even if you didn't need that specific one. Bit of HTML and Javascript? No, too easy, let's use GWT instead. Nightmare to just pick up Javascript widgets already available for free, nightmare to code and - at least at the time - crossbrowser compatibility. Hard to control the HTML generated so to adapt it to most browsers, spent weeks on trying to make it work on most browsers, final result: more and more browsers dropped from the list of the usable ones. Something which I found even harder to understand was the use of Spring everywhere, and integrating it with Hibernate and GWT even if they could have both done without. Files and files and files of XML programming, and use of strings everywhere instead of normal object instantiation. Every syntax error - even typos, which Eclipse would have immediately highlighted - became a treasure hunt hidden within a 60cm runtime stacktrace. And worse performance because of the use of Java reflection. That was 2010 and I am still traumatised enough to type all that just to get it all - once again - off my chest. A colleague resigned saying that, after that project, he would have appreciated the joy of selling balloons outside the circus. So it's not always the work that has to be done, but the magpie management which wants to use every possible shiny acronym under the sun. Rant over - apologies.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: At times because of management's bad choices, not always because of the job

I feel stressed looking at your rant...my eyes, my eyes....

WTF?

So basically you're saying that the project was hell because it used Spring and Hibernate?

You need to man-up a bit mate, most of the enterprise is using these and while they aren't perfect hand-coding your CRUD isn't common now.

Meh

When you say "most of the enterprise" you mean the section of enterprise dominated by large bureaucratic software houses.

Those technologies are simply a pain to work with (spent 2 painful years with Spring/Jboss etc.) and I pity the fool who works with them.

I wouldn't take a job with a company that used this tech again in a million years. Scala Play framework, Ruby on Rails, Mean stack etc. all so much better (as in can get more done with teams less than a quarter of the size).

Pint

@ Lost all faith...

Apologies, have an imaginary pint. It's on me :)

You just have to face facts. In 25 years of IT its always been the same, if you want to play with the cool kids you have to work in a start-up. Otherwise you have to use what the Enterprise are using - it can still be done right if everyone RTFM.

I have a family to feed.

Poor sod. Still, if you use Hibernate with annotations, and Spring with Annotations (or Guice with programmable modules), things get a lot better within an IDE with regard to not getting errors because you had the sheer temerity to rename/move a class, etc.

There are things that are good about Hibernate, compared to raw JDBC. Not a lot if you've got the JDBC architecture correct, but sadly too many people get it wrong with regards to transactions, depth traversal in the DB, try/catch/finally in the DAO, etc.

As you can see - once you've got it right, then there's no reason to really use Hibernate, although boilerplate code in DAOs is a PITA to write.

As for dependency injection, quite simply - use it.

Silver badge

I left the industry, kept the girl.

I found I was using a small part of my brain 100%, the rest of it atrophying. I wasn't good at 'listening' or 'feelings', and was frankly always knackered so hardly at my peak in those couple of evening hours we were together.

I now work in a very different industry with a very different work pattern and so have blocks of time for 'listening' and other partner-appropriate behaviour. It saved my marriage to do so. I still love IT but it can be hard on relationships.

Bronze badge

sounds like

They need to start treating the bofh as an instruction manual...

Anonymous Coward

Working in corporate IT today..

...is an horrific experience, the red-tape, the bs, the endless hours, the expendability....The chasing down of salaries and the general lack of respect for IT workers is appalling. I'm not surprised we've had so many major security breaches in the past two years and this is only going to get worse. I'd rather live below my means and work specific contracts only, and then leave before I overstay my welcome than deal with this IT corporate nightmare...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Working in corporate IT today..

Spot on. In my experience, other areas of the business don't consider IT to be a core part of the business and are often disrespectful towards the employees in IT (although this is not always the case).

I'll stay in a job as long as I'm happy the work is interesting, I'm treated well, and I'm getting paid enough for the work I do. If I feel this isn't the case, I'll look for something else.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Working in corporate IT today..

"Spot on. In my experience, other areas of the business don't consider IT to be a core part of the business and are often disrespectful towards the employees in IT (although this is not always the case)."

I have to say that unless a company's business *is* IT then I don't think IT should be considered core. Important, yes. "IT drives the business" as I've seen said here so often? Yeah, I'm going to believe someone who says his own job most important. IT staff deserve respect? Yes, as much as the other departments. Do as you would be done by. Totally agree with your second paragraph.

Anonymous Coward

Obvious rant

Not surprised.

IT staff are contracted by companies to companies and they pay shit rates. Training is not offered. Most co-workers are happy to follow instructions and carry on with work - May be , I am the odd one, who wants to understand how things work and spends money out of my pocket to buy the books and training material that I need.

No clue whether this effort is going to lead anywhere, but I sure as hell hope it does. I hope things are not bad in every company. Tired of getting kicked in the gut.

From,

Down under!

Anonymous Coward

Marketing ahoy.

"The poll, conducted in the UK on behalf of GFI Software..."

In other words 'Buy our systems management software, be less stressed.' Nice marketing angle, dodgy poll.

Morons

The profession has been devalued and probably deliberately, so between the corrupt banks, and the thieving outsourcing companies, IT is no better than being a garbage collector and in some cases its paid no better.

Its not just IT workers - you want to try a zero hours contract and see how stressed you get when you can't pay the bills or can't get a mortgage

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.