back to article AMD posts $1.4bn in sales, beats Wall Street moneymen's predictions

AMD has announced its financial results for its first fiscal quarter, and the chip designer handily beat analysts' expectations in both revenues and the all-important – to the Wall Street moneymen, at least – earning per share (EPS). On both a GAAP and non-GAAP basis – which excludes one-time items* – AMD reported revenues of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. HighTech4US

AMD always has "One Time Charges"

AMD always has "One Time Charges" and the reason for GAAP is so that companies that try to cook the books would be caught. AMD seem to be one of those companies that try really hard to have investors/analysts/public ignore the GAAP numbers.

Generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generally_accepted_accounting_principles

2. Oh Homer
    Childcatcher

Good.

Thankfully we still have at least one alternative to Intel's racket.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Good.

Exactly.

Sorry, but I don't trust nVidias gear, so it's AMD by personal choice or Intel if I have no choice at work.

3. Aslan

Bitcoin

This quarter saw AMD not need to lower the MSRP of their graphics cards, and selling through as many of them as they could in North America due to the Bitcoin craze, that time is over. Due to China more or less outlawing Bitcoin and the resulting decrease in value due to the users realizing the currency was overvalued, the average bitcoin miner can no longer turn a profit with AMD produced graphics cards. This will reduce demand in the following quarter, but only a bit as non bitcoin miners are waiting to purchase their graphics cards. As for what this will mean for AMD, I don't know, but I feel it will have an impact and I think the author is remiss for not mentioning it. I'd love to know exactly what sort of impact it does have.

Hightech4us is not wrong, but Oh Homer is absolutely right, we desperately need an alternative to Intel. I say we need an alternative to Intel enough it may be worth seeing government funding for AMD and other alternatives.

Bitcoin will continue to be a somewhat useful means of moving money and making purchases as there are many who do not trust their governments money / want an alternative. Bitcoins principles are sound, but it's value will continue to fluctuate, an those who use bitcoin be warned it has a higher volitility than a Latin American countries currency in a financial crisis. I hold bitcoin and see a strong future for it.

4. Oh Homer
    Alien

Bit-what now?

Sorry, I have no idea what you're yammering about. WTF does a CPU/GPU manufacturer have to do with virtual currency? 99.999% of the people who buy these things just want to play games, and have never even heard of bitcoin.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like