Feeds

back to article Wanna build a module for Google's Project Ara mix-and-match phone? Here are your specs

Just days before its first Project Ara Developer Conference is scheduled to begin, Google has released the device's Module Developers Kit (MDK), a set of plans and documentation designed to get hardware hackers started building modules for the componentized, mix-and-match experimental smartphone. Google first unveiled Project …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Driver conflicts; coming soon to Android!

Seriously though, I think this is a cool idea, and would love a phone that can just have a CPU module swapped out rather than having to buy a whole new phone every 24 months.

Silver badge

I just want a phone with a user-replaceable[1] screen, as that's pretty much what dies. I've only had one phone I had to retire because it simply didn't have the oomph. I don't care about the rest of the crap. I'm even willing to give up a user-removable battery and/or SD card for a replaceable screen.

[1] No goddamned adhesives. It never goes back together right.

I once replaced a screen on a BlackBerry 8100. I had two of them, one with a cracked screen and one with a fried main board, so I cracked them both open, took the screen out of the one and put it into the other. It required some delicacy but it wasn't all that hard, really. Looks like iFixIt thinks the new BlackBerrys are pretty easy to repair, too. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BlackBerry+Z10+Teardown/13445/

Are you willing to go that far to get what you want? :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.