back to article FTC: OK Facebook, swallow WhatsApp – but NO selling people's data without permission

Facebook's multi-billion-dollar slurp of WhatsApp has been given the go-ahead by US regulators – with the caveat that the social network sticks to the messaging service's privacy policy. The Federal Trade Commission said in a letter to the two firms that WhatsApp would have to stick to the privacy promises it had already made …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

All that juicy data and Zuck can't get to use it the way his shareholders would love him to? Hmmm, let's just see how long it is before...oops, a silly "mistake" is made and the data gets used.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Subscription model

As a pure coincidence, Whatsapp just popped up and told me my free subscription has lapsed, please cough up some dosh.

I wonder if Zuk is planning on improving the revenue flow in a more direct way?

1. BillG
      Devil

Re: Subscription model

The FTC made it clear that if Facebook wants to make any changes to how it uses data collected from WhatsApp, it will have to inform users and get their consent and the companies both need to ensure they don't misrepresent the extent of the privacy and security of user data...

"...or Facebook will be fined $12Million, or approximately 1/2 a day of revenue."

3. mafoo
    Unhappy

/sigh

Of course the FTC has no power to stop Facebook requiring users to accept an updated terms of service (that allow them to resell data) in order to continue to use the app.

1. bigtimehustler

Re: /sigh

Yes, and that is exactly what they will do and probably always were going to do. Users on the free trial will be required after an update to accept new terms no doubt and paid users will be required to after the subscription ends and they need to renew.

2. Old Handle

Re: /sigh

No, But at least that way people have a chance to stop using it if they don't want their data taken.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another

quite useful service destined to be binned...

Going back to a hermit state of existence as it keeps the ad men out of my way, cant rely on any other fucker to do the same for me...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Another

Have a look at Telegram:

https://telegram.org/faq#q-why-should-i-trust-you

I haven't used it myself, but it looks promising.

5. zaax

Funnily enough FB messenger has just been slued off from FB

6. NoneSuch Silver badge

They will simply change their EULA and add the user gives permission to have their info passed onto third parties (AKA Facebook) and 99% of the users will click it without reading.

So much for informed consent.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Breaking News 2020 Time Trumpet style...

It has been announced today that Jessica Rich, former director of the bureau of consumer protection has joined the board of Facebook.... Critics are questioning whether the revolving door policy of the FTC over data sharing and privacy is beginning to mirror that of Wall Street and its policy of offering similar directorships to retired SEC overseers.

There was a protest outside congress today, as it was revealed that the new bill guaranteeing investment for the building of new children's hospitals and schools in disadvantaged neighbourhoods, also included a little known rider which would allow the transfer of ownership of private data from the individual to multinational tech companies. Critics have called this an abomination of user rights and blamed Lobbyists from the Big-Ten tech firms for whitewashing existing FTC laws. The FTC reportedly had no comment to make.

In separate news, Users of the social network platform Facebook have reported not being able to locate the page that allows them to voice their opposition to the new WhatsApp 'open data' sharing agreement. Only 10% voted against the privacy change. Critics argue that matters weren't helped by the fact that the vote was held during on the busiest day of the year for most Americans, as its the last day to file US taxes.

8. Tromos

Too late.

The data has already been sold. To Facebook. To comply with the original terms and conditions WhatsApp should have wiped all the personal data on completion of the sale.

9. ecofeco Silver badge

Translation:

Don't let us catch you.

10. dan1980

Is it just me or does this all amount to: "You must tell your users that you are going to slurp their data and give them an option to 'like it or leave it' before doing so."?

In which case, business as usual, no?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like