back to article Cyber hostage-takers SCAMMED six times as many people last year

Malware-powered frauds that lock up victims' computers - or worse yet, encrypt files and force them to pay a fee to unlock their information - increased by 500 per cent during 2013, according to a study by Symantec. Symantec's latest global Internet Security Threat Report also revealed that targeted attack campaigns for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Mushroom

Harrumph...

It's arseholes like these who make me reconsider my long-held opposition to Capital Punishment.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Harrumph...

Too good for them.

I suggest forced labour camps for these kind of people....

Bronze badge

Re: Capital punishment...

Too good for them.

Crucifixion's a doddle...

Silver badge

Personal assistants and those working in public relations were the two most targeted professions, according to Symantec's report

The solution is obvious...

B Ark.

Silver badge

I dunno about PAs - I've met PAs who do most of the job of the person they are PAing to, with said Important Person basically being a customer service rep for the operation, in effect.

Completely agree with marketint types, however. Although I think a B-Ark might be more expensive than my choice, which is just an AK47 and a good deal on bulk 7.62x39 rounds...

Steven R

Bronze badge
Pint

separate points of failure?

Perhaps this makes the use of a NAS and PC prerfeable? Especially if "copy-on-write" type filesystems can be enabled...

Of course, some care to hide NAS controls....

Just a thought, but would make a multiple target payload necessary....

P.

Silver badge

Re: separate points of failure?

Reading a recent thread on here, it appears that Cryptolocker, at least, will happily encrypt not only your local drive, but any attached shares as well, so your idea wouldn't work.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge
Windows

Re: Compared to

@Fray Way

Just an idea: GCHQ put up a site where you can upload an image of a locked drive and use it for decryption practice. If successful, you get an email with a link to the restored image, and a tutorial on cyber security.

Positive PR.

Waddythink?

Anonymous Coward

Malware-powered cyber-espionage ..

Ban this LUnex maware from the InterTUBEs now !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums