back to article WD unborks mystery My Cloud borkage

WD has issued an update to its My Cloud, My Book Live and Mionet outage, saying Mionet customers may still be facing problems. The root cause is still not understood. Here's the text: Update: April 7, 2014 @ 9:30PM PST As of April 3, remote access to My Cloud and My Book Live personal cloud storage has been re-established. If …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Swarthy

And This

Is why I like my hard-drives physical. At least when they push up daisies, I know why.

1. Fink-Nottle
      Trollface

Re: And This

If you'd bothered to read the article:

"We would like to reiterate that your stored data was not affected by this service interruption. The purpose of our servers is to authenticate access to your device remotely, while your data remains safe on your own home network."

Still, why the let facts get in the way of a good old-fashioned troll.

1. Swarthy
        Facepalm

Re: And This

Fair play, that was a bit of a troll.

And I did miss the bit about the data being on "your own home network". I did read the "your stored data was not affected by this service interruption" bit and jumped the gun. I did not think that a company PR department would think to tell users that a webserver "elsewhere" would not nuke their local drive. I can see users asking about it, but a preemptive "we think you're thick" is a bit unexpected.

2. Phil Endecott

> And This Is why I like my hard-drives physical.

This product IS a physical hard drive.

It's a physical hard drive that you keep at home, that comes with some sort of remote access feature so that you can also access it over the 'net. This remote access relies on WD servers to function.

1. Steven Raith

Oh fuck that, I'll stick with what the Syno box does - log into it over a direct IP connection (DynDNS, fixed IP, whatever) to my home DSL line with it's ports forwarded and use it's web interface to access the files.

One assumes this was possible with the WD devices. If not, they truly are a useless heap of shit, as opposed to just slow.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like