Feeds

back to article Curiosity finds not-very-Australian-shaped rock on Mars

A Twitter member named @CoUdErMaNn has spotted a rock on Mars that is said to resemble Australia. If you ignore some of Australia's largest geographical features. Here's @CoUdErMaNn's tweet, which references this recently-released NASA image. Very strange rock formation took #Nasa @MarsCuriosity today in Mars> pic.twitter.com/ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Little known fact: somewhere buried in the constant PI is a PNG image of the Mona Lisa. The catch is it may take longer than the lifetime of the universe to find it.

Silver badge

Not just one!

There are an infinite number of Mona Lisas in there. Some of them are frowning instead of smiling. And in some of those she's also flipping the bird. And in some of those she's also naked. And in some of those she's also made of baked beans. Isn't infinity fun?

bep

Pedant alert

It's 'Mary Celeste' folks. Just so you know next time.

Silver badge

Definitely messianic pastry material

If that rock is "right way up", then there's no Cape York Peninsula or Gulf of Carpentaria, the Melbourne end is too pointy and lopsided, and there's no Fleurieu, Yorke and Eyre Peninsulas in South Australia.

If it's "upside down" then it's also flipped left-to-right, so the Cape York Peninsula and Gulf of Carpentaria are on the wrong end and back to front, and there's no Great Australian Bight (Or the three South Australian peninsulas either.)

Either way, it's serious stretch to see a map Australia in that rock. If anything, it's more suggestive of Antarctica than Australia...

Silver badge

Re: Definitely messianic pastry material

And Tasmania is missing!

Silver badge

It's good enough

Looks pretty Australian to me.... SFA and dusty. Even the shape is close enough if you're noot too fussy.

Silver badge
Devil

Even for pareidolia, this is a stretch

If it were accurate, you'd be able to see Clive and Gina as well.

Anonymous Coward

Life !!!

This is indubitable proof of life on mars... a dried up martian cowpie !

Bronze badge
Trollface

Re: Life !!!

Beat me to it AC! Looks like cow pucky to me!

Never mind Australia, what's Ireland doing to the west of it?

How is this article even worth the 45193 bytes?

I think the Kardashians are more newsworthy. At least they have nice butts.

Silver badge
Joke

Nah, not OZ, Fourecks, more likely

Still, no worries, she'll be right!

Next look out for a rock in the shape of the Counterweight Continent.

Happy

this is how I remember australia

http://www.buzzhunt.co.uk/wp-content/2013/11/australia.jpg

Clearly...

it's the Millennium Falcon, and it's all just publicity for the new Star Wars movies.

And by 'clearly', I mean 'not really'.

Silver badge

When the tagline mentioned 'messianic pastries' I assumed croissants not bagels. Partly because croissants were supposedly invented to resemble the Islamic crescent, and partly because bagels aren't pastries.

I'm not interested in any of this accidental shapery until Darwin's face appears on a piece of toast.

Bronze badge
Angel

Home away from Home!

Promote it as a holiday destination or a home away from home and we'll significantly raise Oz's IQ.

(...A surely-needed undertaking.)

>:-)

This topic is closed for new posts.