back to article Left swipe! That hot Tinder babe is a malware-flinging ROBOT

Hackers are abusing the popular Tinder dating app to spread malware and survey scams using bots and clever social-engineering trickery. Bots are luring users with tempting profiles and pictures using pictures from an Arizona-based photography studio, according to net security firm BitDefender. Some of these images have also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge

>Hey, how are you doing? I’m still recovering from last night :) Relaxing with a game on my phone, castle clash. Have you heard about it? http://tinderverified.com/castleclash[removed]. Play with me and you may get my phone number.

Judging by the text, the intended victims must be in the 12-14 year old age group. Strange target within a dating site !

Or am I getting too old and don't realise that the 12-14 year olds actually do use dating apps ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Nowt to do with age.

Everything to do with the fact that you grew up with an expectation of privacy.

Most young'uns/teens/early 20 somethings (today) have had no such expectation and as such, are happy to give away all their info for nothing... Glad i wont be around that much longer to witness the resulting mess....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nowt to do with age.

I pity the next gen ration, they will be hacked to hell.

Think about it...

Date of birth?

Work out age of person from social media, it will be there, you may have to do a little maths i.e. Yippee my 21st birthday today, but that's about as hard as it gets.

Mother maiden name?

Look for Mom and dads wedding photos / anniversary details.

Pets name?

Sooo easy...

1st School?

It'll be there. look for their friends if the target doesn't publish it.

Hobbies?

Easy.

Address?

Little more difficult, but look for check ins, photos and so on.

First car...

Easy...every 17 / 18 year old will post a pic of the new motor, plus the registration will be in full view when they get it.

Facebook / Twitter / trend of the year is the "hackers" wet dream.

Make believe?

As a test at a youth club I help look after, to prove how easy this stuff is, with their consent we "hacked" a persons email, then Facebook and twitter accounts. We then got all their address and contact details.

Needless to say, the kids there are a bit more careful. It won't last, humans are cheap and easy. Offer free stuff and make it easier to do, and we'll do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thats why the government will start to rfid chip all the kids at birth and use that for authentication...

1. patrick_bateman

AAAHHHH an unscannable!!!!

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

>Easy...every 17 / 18 year old will post a pic of the new motor, plus the registration will be in full view when they get it.

I remember when someone in a car forum stiffed another member on parts. They figured out his location from the EXIF and showed up in person.

There's also the bike forums that used to post VINs. Sigh.

3. dan1980

Really?

RippedAbsXX - "Play this game on the phone with me and I might give you my number . . ."

If that's what passes for enticing then dating really has changed since I was, well, marginally younger than I am now.

WildGrl92 - "I think your* hot - wanna pick up some bargains at Tesco? Or if you wanna take it slow we could help ASDA refine their marketing models . . ."

Hold me back.

* - Yes, yes . . .

1. Ole Juul

Re: Really?

You got it. A guy asking a woman to play a game on the phone? She'd probably think he was underage.

4. Elmer Phud

Arfur ucksache

"Hey, how are you doing? I’m still recovering from last night :) Relaxing with a game on my phone, castle clash. Have you heard about it? http://tinderverified.com/castleclash[removed]. Play with me and you may get my phone number."

Bleedin' ell' -- that reads almost the same as a message one of my girls got when she was on Habbo Hotel. (both had been trained early on to spot possibly -dodgy stuff and, if not sure, tell me).

That time there was an idiot on the other end of the message so I was able to show her how to carefully draw them in and keep them busy for an hour or more while you get on with other things.

But, really, do people actually fall for that sport of shite?

They need a basic £15 Nokia and they are totally at odds with anything that resembles a 'smart' phone.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

"the bots engage users in automated conversations"

So Eliza has gone broke and is forced to work for hackers now? How the mighty have fallen.

6. Old Handle
    Alien

Remember, when you meet someone new, you should get tested, it's the responsible thing to do.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like