back to article Qualcomm uncloaks new chips for 'ultimate connected mobile computing experiences'

Qualcomm has announced two new 64-bit processors in its Snapdragon line, both aimed at high-end smartphones and tablets, and both "designed to deliver the ultimate connected mobile computing experiences in video, imaging and graphics," the company modestly says. The Snapdragon 810 and 808 are both based on ARM Cortex-A57 and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge

Apple

CPU core licence from ARM. They bought a company that can use the ARM core IP and then someone has to make it for them. The first iPhone used a Samsung 6400 family. But that was only the main application CPU. The phone part all bought in chips.

Phone & RF Hardware?

I doubt Apple have the 2G, 3G or 4G IP. When did they start designing RF chips?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple

Not sure what the article had to do with Apple, but Apple actually owns a ton of LTE patents, purchased from the dried up husk of Nortel, and surprisingly have developed a few dozen on their own (maybe they hired some Nortel engineers, or plan to someday design their own baseband instead of buying it from Qualcomm)

And Apple doesn't have a core license from ARM, they have an architectural license. Their last two SoCs used fully custom ARM cores, they didn't use an ARM designed core like the A57 Qualcomm used here. Typically Qualcomm has been designing their own cores, I guess they're a bit far behind in designing a 64 bit core so they are using the A57 as a stopgap.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome - now I can hit my monthly bandwidth cap in a minute and a half instead of ten minutes!

3. Stuart Halliday
    Facepalm

Nice to know that my new phone that I'll buy next year is already obsolete before it's launched yet.

Such is progress. :)

4. launcap Silver badge
    FAIL

That word doesn't mean what you think it means..

And I'm referring to 'Ultimate'. Does this mean that the chipset cannot ever be beaten? No mobile processor from now on will be better?

Of course it doesn't.

Marketing - first up against the wall when the revolution comes!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like