back to article iiNet to Senate committee: metadata retention an expensive joke

iiNet has tried to swim against the tide of government agencies bent on turning ISPs and telcos into outsourced snoops, telling a Senate committee that proposals for mandatory data retention are intrusive, expensive and impractical. In this curt submission to the Senate committee inquiring into revisions of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jurgen
    Angel

$60M for a 20TB data centre?

That's awfully expensive.

1. frank ly

Re: $60M for a 20TB data centre?

It does say 'build and _secure_', so maybe it's a reinforced underground bunker with dual redundant power generation and underground storage tanks for a year of fuel?

1. duckbenny

Well, if you click through to the submission, they actually say 20 thousand terabytes which is not insignificant.

2. Gray Ham Bronze badge

It may seem high, but, if they are trying to pitch to a Senate committee that's it a bad idea - expensive, impractical, an unwarranted intrusion into privacy and an undue burden on business, I would expect iiNet to include all the potential direct and indirect costs in their estimate. I certainly wouldn't expect them to say "no problem - it'll cost $1,000 and we could have it running in a week".

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

A truly free society wouldn't need such laws

Data kleptomania is a disease.

I wonder how Orwell proposed they monitor all the telescreens in 1984?

3. Mark 65

Complicit opposition

The capture of the opposition by the spy agencies in this scheme just proves how many skeletons are obviously in their closets.

This topic is closed for new posts.