back to article Dell tells customers: 'Opt out' if you don't want a channel service

Dell is asking half a million customers Stateside to hand over their privates to channel partners or to actively "opt out" of a sweeping programme to reduce the number of accounts the firm services directly. As previously revealed, between 200k to 500k customers in North America – presumably those not deemed large enough – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge

The HP rep has been quite good at returning my calls. If I'm going to "opt out", I may as well go all the way.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bit of a change

As long as I could remember, Dell prided themselves on bucking the 'partner trend' and dealing direct.

It was one of the ways they claimed to save money. Y'know - cut out the middle man, as it were.

Wonder why they've changed their minds now.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Bit of a change

Because when they did the maths they didn't factor in customer service? Just a guess...

2. earl grey
      Trollface

Re: Bit of a change

Wonder why they've changed their minds now

You can't change what you don't have....

3. zbcontent

xx.dell.com?

One interesting question is whether the shift to channel sales will also impact customers' access to Dell's customized procurement portal (Premier). Many organizations have pre-configured, pre-discounted online ordering through Dell -- will that go away for customers moving to channel?

For that matter, if you move to channel, how much access to dell.com do you have? Can you still purchase/support through dell.com, or will you go through your channel partner?

4. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Having to work with Dell at the moment...

By the look of it, they promise the world whilst delivering nothing. Guy on the phone is pleasant, but the back room boys look shit spoke to one guy who was so pretentious with his job title it was ridiculous.

I suppose if you decide to do something on windows or a windows device, for the love of God, don't.

5. an it guy

hmm. dell. The company who I tell every three months that I'm not planning on buying from them as I don't have the authority (and we don't need to buy new computers at the moment). However, they call me back with a new account manager like clockwork.

You'd think that someone would have noted it down, and re-read it realising it's a broken record.

As an aside, I like dell, and have one at home that's lasted for 6+ years and I hope will continue to last as the hardware is good (not a cheap laptop at the time). just please, sort out your agents. Please, and don't sell my data onwards.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like