back to article Microsoft's ALREADY telling of bugs in Fondle-Office for iPad

Microsoft has pointed out that the newly released Office for iPad won't immediately work for users of its SharePoint 2010 collaboration suite. As explained in two blog posts, one covering Excel documents and the other addressing PowerPoint files, the problem is that SharePoint 2010 “requires a plugin or active X to launch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

I'm sorry, buf if your company needs that...

... you are in _serious_ trouble. Apparently you have stored all your data in non machine readable (office) formats.

I'm also shocked to hear that a product from 2010 _still_ requires ActiveX or plugins.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: I'm sorry, buf if your company needs that...

Yup. Your right, how dare a product from 4 years ago require a technology widely in (corporate) use from 4 years ago.

Now if you said a NEW version needed it, I would side with you.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: I'm sorry, buf if your company needs that...

Since plugins serve a genuine use-case, it's not at all surprising some web-based projects need them. Typically, web-pages requiring plugins are a sign of something that perhaps shouldn't be a website in the first place, but there ARE legitimate uses.

2. pacman7de
    Facepalm

SharePoint stampede to Office-on-iOS?

There's already been a stampede to Office-on-iOS in the space of twenty-four-hours. How can you tell, what are the download figures, what are the sales figures ..

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Nothing new here then, move along inside...

Microsoft release a product that is clearly unfinished and bug ridden... Now there's a surprise.

If Microsoft made cars they would have been sued out of existence before Windows 95 saw the light of day.

Ok so all software contains bugs but for these problems to come to light so soon after the launch is really crap. Seems (IMHO) to indicate another case of the marketing people getting their way over the more cautious engineers.

Never mind the quality, feel the width!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing new here then, move along inside...

So me a product that doesn't have a known bug list and I'll show you one that is a) either very basic or b) not very well tested.

1. JDX Gold badge

Don't be silly. Linux was released in final 1.0 form and then never ever needed any changes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Linux was released in final 1.0 form and then never ever needed any changes."

How come I'm using 3.11.10-7 then ?

4. PipV
    Trollface

'SharePoint stampede to Office-on-iOS'

I raise pint to you for making me literally laugh out loud whilst reading this....

5. Mint Sauce
    Unhappy

Sharepoint

... barely works on the desktop, what chance on iThings?

In fact, if you want to hide information from the NSA etc, don't bother encrypting it, just store it in Sharepoint - they'll never find it (nor will you, mind...)

1. Sr. Handle

Re: Sharepoint

And for some reason we still reading in news that Apple nor MS is doomed, seems is a good time for being a doomed company.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cunning Plan: Destroy the iPad's success by inflicting it with Microsoft Update!

I get it - so Microsoft have decided the only way to destroy the success of the iPad is to install the trojan horse called Microsoft Update. Inflict long hours of boredom on iPad users, while they are forced to wait for 72/83 updates to install, reboot, and then tell us its nearly there, almost ready, not long now, and other phrases that have been inherited from the Windows 8.1 Update. Clever MS! New management is working obviously.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just curious, but how large is the install? MS is notorious for huge programs, bloated updates and slow performance over time. I wonder how this will effect an IPad.

1. groovyf

I've not checked App sizes in the Apple App Store myself, but I've read they're in the 200MB range for each (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).

1. Tony Carter-Inman

About 200mb each, which sounds large until you see that Simpsons Tapped Out takes up over 700mb on my iPad, and 'Weather+' app takes up 350mb.

2. RAMChYLD

As huge as you think it is.

Word: 457MB

Excel: 433MB

PowerPoint: 419MB

OneNote: 406MB

Honestly, tho, I've seen bigger. Way bigger (Toontastic and The Oregon Trail were gigabyte-sized offenders that I had on the fondleslab before jetsamming them in favor of more storage).

That said, it even had problems authenticating with my Office 365 account (only have it because I need it for work). Turns out that I had to pass on activating it on first run, then only use the activate button after setting it up for trial mode.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh joy!!

Now Office is available on iPants. Just bloody marvellous!! Office on a toy....look out PS Vita....Microsoft has you in it's sights.

1. cambsukguy

Re: Oh joy!!

It's because the toy is popular, not because it is fit-for-purpose.

Obviously, if you add a keyboard and a mouse it gets closer to usable for laptop-type things.

This Office is supposed to make it usable without either. Perhaps it does, to a larger extent than the previous offerings anyway - Surface Office is properly usable only with keyboard/mouse, which happily come easily with the touch cover.

But, it is entirely possible to view and make (small) edits even just using my phone, any Office is better than no Office. Obviously other viewers must be able to do this because people send Word docs and Excel SSs all over the place but I feel happier sending the document on knowing it is not broken in some way.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It may be a "toy" but iOS is also the Enterprise phone and tablet of choice.

10. Benny

So they had to write code for a single device, (ok, maybe 2 versions) - all of which are in the "walled garden" and share the same code, and they still havent got it right?! Jeez.

1. RAMChYLD

I don't think they share the same code. Office mobile was better written and only consumes a comparatively paltry 96.3MB according to my fondleslab. On the other hand, Office Mobile doesn't do PowerPoint and OneNote.

For comparison, each one of the iPad Office app in itsef (they're separate apps, compared to the iPhone offering which is a one-app suite) is over 400MB in size.

11. hoola Silver badge

Reverse it.....

A piece of coporate, Windows centric software will not run an a fashion accessory.

You get what should expect. OK, so maybe it should not require ActiveX but it was never designed to run on that type of device. Don't bellyache that Microsoft is at fault when a consumer product does not work in the enterprise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like