Feeds

back to article No Notch niche: Minecraft man in rift with Oculus after Facebook gobble

Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson has used the occasion of Mark Zuckerberg's acquisition of Oculus VR to unload on the boy wonder's Facebook – and bid farewell to the Rift virtual-reality headset team. Perhaps at least a little miffed that Zuck's personal shoppers arrived a few weeks into an investigation about whether a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

I must admit I *was* looking at purchasing an Oculus Rift (or whatever the commercial version was going to be called). Now, however... There is something about this that is raising the hair on the back of my neck...

Silver badge

Yeah, the Facebook Effect. An hour after the WhatsApp deal was announced, everybody in the office was looking for alternatives. I sent my step-daughter an SMS saying welcome to Facebook, she replied that she had deleted WhatsApp and was looking for an alternative.

Silver badge
Meh

It was bound to be Facebook or Google though, let's face it.

yup with you there - very interested in VR, not at all interested in VR from facebook.

I would have rather seen it bought by Valve.

Bronze badge

"There is something about this that is raising the hair on the back of my neck..."

That will be the compulsory frisking going on as you use the device and it takes all your personal data on account of Facebooks need to prop up it's share prices.

Anonymous Coward

... and that port at the back of your neck - matrix style!

Anonymous Coward

Everyone will be offering VR headsets soon - if Sony (PS3/4) and Microsoft (XBOX) do not have one by the end of the year I would be surprised...

Silver badge

As would I.

Glad to see someone with scruples getting away from the sinking ship. I was really looking forward to an OR set of goggles. Now I suspect I'll wait for another brand. Marks Zuckerberg's vision of VR and mine are somewhat divergent.

Sony have already said theirs won't be available in 2014, and Microsoft seem even further away.

It's just struck me that the Wii U might inadvertently be an ideal VR platform. It already has a portable controller with built in screen. I bet I could take it apart and convert it into a VR headset myself, coupled with the motion plus bits of the old controllers, and come up with something useable within a few hours.

Bronze badge

Those consoles just dont have the

GPU capabilities to produce a fluid VR environment. If its on anything it'll be the PC with high end specs. Anyway FB can go fook themselves Zuckerburg is a stuck up brat

Bronze badge

re: Facebook Effect

It may be a variant of Reverse Midas Touch, something that's characteristic for most bigcorps. But FB learned it surprisingly quickly. Zuck is a quick learner, he talks like a true PHB now.

True... but I'd prefer Google over fb.

Anonymous Coward

Refreshing!

A person who put his money where his mouth is. It is a welcome acheivement.

Greed is rampant in our society but it is nice to see an individual who would gladly walk away from it...due to a conscious.

Bronze badge

Re: Refreshing!

... yeah and his a multimillionaire already from mincraft and can afford to walk away ;)

Silver badge

Re:...a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

That's sort of the point. A lot of the super rich couldn't tear themselves away from the potential for more profit irrespective of how much money they already have. If Notch has decided he's got enough money to pass up Facebook millions then he clearly has a moral compass that's missing from a lot of the psycopaths at the top.

Headmaster

"due to a conscious."

Due to a conscience, I hope.

Bronze badge

Re: ..a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

He is probably just as greedy as everyone else...

if not, let him put his money where his mouth is. and give all future rights and profits to someone else... maybe a homeless person... and let the rights go to another homeless person every 6 months...

I can't see him putting his money where his mouth is with this idea... what's the word for this... I know it, it's on the tip of my tounge...

Anonymous Coward

They're Sociopaths, not Psychopaths. Similar, buy one doesn't care about anyone else, the other one wants to kill everyone else.

Apart from that, I agree with you 100%

You're richer than most people on the planet, RISC OS — I trust you follow your own advice?

Silver badge

@AC Re: ..a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

A Psychopath doesn't WANT to kill everyone, it's just that if they do kill anyone then they have no bad feelings about it. Hence, they find it easy to kill if it makes 'logical' sense to them. On a more everyday level, they treat people very badly and have no qualms about it.

Silver badge

> They're Sociopaths, not Psychopaths

Most mental health professionals consider these two terms to be synonymous these days.

Just another example of Sherlock Holmes being wrong.

Bronze badge

Re: @ RISC OS

One of these things helps people, one does not:

1) Giving them millions of dollars/pounds as the lottery does. Because no one ever squandered it, right?

2) Giving people the opportunity for education and learning, work and community with the millions of dollars/pounds you have.

Which one?

Splashing cash out randomly does not solve many problems. So your suggesting instead of thinking first, Notch should give it out randomly? If you have a different point to make, I'm all ears though. :)

Bronze badge
Devil

@sabroni ;)

"Due to a moral compass"

Have you played minecraft TSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anonymous Coward

Oh you can have a moral compass... It just requires a shit ton of obsidian, diamonds, glow dust and pumpkins

Bronze badge

Re: @AC ..a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

Sorry about that but it's hard to think of things from a sheeple's point of view all the time. We just have to have a conscience emulator running in one part of our mind.

Anonymous Coward

"richer"

is an interesting term, I'd wager most of us have less wealth than a lot more people than we imagine. I have negative wealth, ergo I have no tangible assets, very small savings and reasonable debts, as such anyone who has no debt and a fiver in their hand has more wealth than me. I have a higher salary than many people but that's taxed at a high rate and to gain wealth will require significant saving and life style reduction in the medium term...

Anyway fun stuff.

Not a word.. It's a phrase.. "Not an idiot".

Anonymous Coward

You might have negative assets, but that's only because you are so sucked in to materialism. But isn't that a wrong application of money? Shouldn't you be living in a shack, eating beans all day, maintaining the minimum standard of appearance to keep you employed and then donating all the rest to the less fortunate?

Just because you've borrowed money and invested it - how selfish of you by the way - doesn't mean you can't redeem yourself! Sell whatever assets you have, try to reach a zero-balance and then start shipping money to the less wealthy.

Because you say Notch should put his money where his mouth is (though his mouth has never claimed to want to help the homeless), and then when someone asks you if you do it you make bogus claims about being poorer than the starving African (at least that's what I understood to be implied?), instead of just saying "I never said I'd put my money where my mouth is, douche"

So just to be clear this whole post = a bitchy reply that I wrote cause, well I'm an entitled bastard with nothing better to do.

Bronze badge

Greed is rampant in our society but it is nice to see an individual who would gladly walk away from it...due to a conscious.

...uncoupling?

:-)

Headmaster

A conscious what? You can't leave us hanging like this!

MrT
Bronze badge

He also left...

...King.com - the compass is working fine ;-)

Silver badge

Have you played minecraft TSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ye gods I hate that sound. Especially when you're busy filling in the hole that the one a few seconds ago made (which is inevitably when the one that was hiding on the other side of one of my farms decides to come give me a hug).

In my humble opinion if you don't hate creepers you just haven't played enough Minecraft.

Silver badge

Being neck-deep in debt does mean you can actually have negative wealth. It's a basic concept few people grasp, otherwise we wouldn't have so many people who go broke as soon as they spend more than a month without a job.

And not all people in debt are using their CCs to buy useless crap; some have to do so to survive.

"If Notch has decided he's got enough money to pass up Facebook millions then he clearly has a moral compass that's missing from a lot of the psycopaths at the top."

Umm.. what millions? Facebook isn't forcing money on people. And Facebook isn't paying anyone to port games to Occulus Rift. At least not yet. But they will probably have to, as "exclusives" are an ever present aspect in the gaming market, which involves paying developers to keep a game locked to a certain platform.

I find this whole "Facebook is evil", and that Notch is so principled walking away from a deal that wouldn't even have guaranteed making him any money, narrative pretty daft.

If you want to see his "moral compass" at work, try raising some money on Kickstarter to make a Minecraft Movie. He won't even sue you. He just calls some Silicon Valley buddies, and you just disappear from the Internet.

"If you want to see his "moral compass" at work, try raising some money on Kickstarter to make a Minecraft Movie. He won't even sue you. He just calls some Silicon Valley buddies, and you just disappear from the Internet."

Maybe not an unbiased report, but Notch's explanation is that his lawyers (interestingly, without his input, apparently) said they could carry on if they removed the word "Minecraft", but they voluntarily shut themselves down.

He seems a pretty genuine/open person, from the interactions I've seen.

Good idea! Everyone knows homeless people rock when it comes to managing money.

Silver badge

There is nothing "social" ...

... about VR or so-called "social" networking.

No real-life human contact? It's not social.

EOF

Silver badge

Re: There is nothing "social" ...

> There is nothing "social" about VR or so-called "social" networking.

You're looking at it wrong. Imagine the whole right side of your vision filled with moving 3D adverts continuously moving around and towards you. Now you have Zuckerberg's vision for VR.

Silver badge

Re: EOF

Your definition of "social" is out of date. Kind of like arguing that phone conversations aren't real conversations, or that when I skyped my son last night there was no communication. Physical proximity does not dictate whether something is social or not.

And as for "EOF", just as irritating as "End of", but with an extra helping of "Aren't I techy!". It doesn't signify the end of debate, just that you're not prepred to engage with anyone else's opinion.

Silver badge

Talk to someone in a remote location over the phone line = social.

Talk to someone in a remote location over the phone line while also being able to see a graphical representation of them = "not social".

Apparently.

Unless phone calls are not social either. Maybe for Jake they aren't, but mine are quite convivial, at least when I am on the phone by choice.

The important part is interaction and there's no rule to say that you can't have meaningful, fulfilling, social interactions without being physically in the same room. I'll agree that doing so adds an element to the interaction but who's to say that that element is necessary or even beneficial in all instances?

I hate the idea that a tool designed for gaming has now been bought by a company that earns its money from showing people ads but, as always, it doesn't really impact me that much because I neither use Facebook nor was I looking forward to the Rift device.

Silver badge

EOF = end of fail? ;-)

Seriously, jake, I understand your resentment towards virtual contacts as I much prefer contact in real-life. But even El Reg's commentards' section is in a way social: we are interacting with each other. I don't think we need a new definition of social.

Silver badge

I humbly propose anti-social, with "anti" in the earlier Greek meaning: in front of, in the place of, in opposition to, real-life social activity.

So if you use skype to reach those on the other side of the world, that's social. If you use skype to IM your spouse in the next room because you're too lazy to go and see them, that's anti-social.

I may have the wrong meaning there, but this is the internet - someone will correct me.

Thumb Up

END OF LINE

Better still

Silver badge

> I humbly propose anti-social, with "anti" in the earlier Greek meaning: in front of, in the place of, in opposition to, real-life social activity.

"In front of" would be "ante" rather than "anti".

As you wish.

You're thinking of the Latin "ante" as in antechamber, the a in am and "upping the ante".

Anti means opposed to, which is Greek.

Edit: gah too slow

Bronze badge

And buying is now opt-out: you have to blink to not buy what's on each ad.

Silver badge

Mainstream sociologists today disagree with you Jake. Some people get the majority of their social contact online. My wife is a good example. She's epileptic, so she can't drive. She's a stay at home mom because with the current competitive job market no one wants to hire someone who might have a seizure while at work. She has nothing in common with anyone who lives within walking distance of us, and, to be blunt, go near most of them with our children anyway.* All that adds up to her not getting out of the house very often.

*We're a single income family and I work for a school district in a state controlled by the TEA party. Guess what kind of neighbors we have.

Silver badge

Remember that episode of Futurama where they used VR to log into the Internet and Frye was nearly abducted by pop-up ads? THAT's Zuckerberg's vision of the future.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.