Feeds

back to article India's outsourcers look east with eyes on Asian tigers

Indian IT services group Nasscom is turning its attention eastwards with a focus on China, Japan and other previously untapped markets in an attempt to maintain the industry’s double-digit growth. The country’s outsourcers have historically focused their efforts on customers in the UK and US, but president R Chandrasekhar said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Fuck that!

Keep them away from these parts. We don't need no stinkin injuns!

Silver badge

Looking for cheaper labour to maximise the profit, it was only a matter of time.

India was able to outsource for the UK and the US because they have enough people that speak English to engage with their customers (even if the quality of that engagement at a project level can be suspect at times).

But how many Indians are competent at the various Chinese dialects? Mandarin? Cantonese? How do they expect to gather business requirements, write specs and conduct UAT meetings? It's not as if a few months with Rosetta DVDs will produce an army of competent Chinese BAs and Project Managers...Chinese is hard.

That is the same problem the Indian outsourcers have faced in Germany, France, et al in Europe. Their grip of English only opens doors in some accounts - but some businesses there require that the outsourcer have teams (or at least team leaders) that speak the business's native language. Even in multinationals.

I can see that the Indian IT bosses are merely developing strategies to go where the money is. But I think the barriers are larger than they can overcome themselves. I suspect they will have to buy up smaller Chinese firms to both get around Chinese protectionism, and to get the on-shore language skills they need. I reckon that if they don't, in 10 years time it will be Chinese IT firms buying up TCS and the rest...

Anonymous Coward

English speakers?

There are times when I don't think it can get any worse trying to understand the 'English' from the last century spoken with such a thick accent.

Bronze badge

I can only speak for Japan but there is already a growing presence of Indian workers here. I live in the middle of nowhere where it's usual to see Filipinos and Brazilians that work in factories around here but recently a lot of Indians have been popping up too. When I was looking for IT work around here I was concerned that my lack of a JLPT cert would be my undoing but I was told "you should try xyz, they have a guy that can't even speak English let alone Japanese". In my opinion bad indian English plus poor bad Japanese English would be a recipe for disaster but I guess the savings they think they are making on paper offset the communications difficulties.

From what I've seen Japanese companies tend to be good at hardware and not so good at software. I have been told that managers don't understand anything about software other than line counts and developers have decent enough job security to not have to not have to try too hard... I'm sure the managers will love the massive codebases (99% duplicate code) at a fraction of the cost for a lifetime employee.

Anonymous Coward

Re: English speakers?

Ah India where 'Yesssiirr' with a shake of the head usually means 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue'.

Yours,

An AC, currently in South India.

Anonymous Coward

Re: English speakers?

Ah India where 'Yesssiirr' with a shake of the head usually means 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue'.

Don't forget "No we don't have any issues", and "yes we are on target for delivery", which usually means the sh*t has hit the fan.

Anonymous Coward

I think they will be disappointed

The only reason Indian outsourcers have been successful in the UK and US is low price and an open employment market, in China and Japan they will have none of these advantages.

Also word is out on the lack of quality, I am meeting more and more people who have wised up to the fact that they largely try to supply green staff meaning long overruns and poor quality.

Again with the Racist diatribe

You dumb fscks should take stock of two things.

1) All the "big" economic powerhouses have an agenda wrt India. Don't forget the 1.2+B-strong population in India where selling products will keep Western and east asian companies running for another century.

2) So it is a case of quid pro quo. They can't sell their sh!t unless the Indian populations can afford it. And they can't afford it unless their standard of living increases.

Stop whining and do something about it. Go get some new skills and make yourselves more marketable. Evolve or become extinct.

And i'm saying it because I'm in a similar boat - my skills which were hot and marketable 3 years ago are all but defunct now. So I'm learning new technologies and acquiring new skills. It's not easy when you are 40 yrs old, but it can be done. I'm sure it can be at any age, once you realize that you aren't entitled to get anything. You have to earn everything you get. So, get off your racist high-horses and get working at earning what you think you deserve.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: Again with the Racist diatribe

Thats the problem. What skills? I may get shot down for saying this but, competent IT workers are few and far between in the world of outsourcing. There is no need to lecture someone who works with them everyday. I see big companies paying heavy penalties for the screw-ups by certain IT companies in India. Now this is not down to lack of competence in India, but the structure of the outsourcing companies who simply cant hold on to experienced workers. This is not a racist diatribe so maybe you should get off your highly skilled horse.

My horse's expertise notwithstanding, I have had the opportunity of working with some of the finest minds in the world who were Indian IT professionals.

BTW, I am an "Indian IT professional"...but I've lived and worked in the US for the good part of 2 decades.

I have also had the opportunity of working with some really smart American and British IT professionals. What sets the smart ones from the mediocre is the fact that the smart ones don't whinge and cry about outsourcing or the invasion by foreigners. They stay competitive and make a difference with their skills. They don't need to worry about their work...they are good.

The rest, as I said is about survival of the fittest. The West wanted a Global economy. Now enjoy the fruits...

Anonymous Coward

But the smart Indians aren't the ones doing the outsourcing work. They are the ones jumping at the chance for a green card.

And that's the thing... 95% of the Indians couldn't code their way out of a paper bag,

They are hired because they are cheap labor. And for the most part... Useless as tits on a boar.

This topic is closed for new posts.