back to article Deceased music locker gets final knock

Michael Robertson has lost a long-running copyright infringement case against his unlicensed cloud music service MP3Tunes. The verdict by the Manhattan federal jury on Wednesday is the third headline-grabbing copyright settlement this week. Robertson's cloud-based music streamer first launched in the pre-Cambrian era, 2005, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Few pennies

I think there's a little bit more than that.

rollocks

It doesn't need more money, it needs people/corps on all sides to accept realistic amounts.

Bronze badge

Re: rollocks

The point of the last paragraph, as I read it, was that if tech and media were to work together, there would be more money in the system; enough for everyone. Between the way the system worked out and the only currently successful(-ish) model of business, there has not been any new money drawn into the system; and the current business practices have categorically failed to create any new wealth in the system.

Re: rollocks

Its not a question of more money. The problem is that one or two organisations have built a monopoly on ripping off everyone else.

Anonymous Coward

Prison time is required

Perps like this guy deserve a 20 year prison sentence in addition to mega-millions in fines and loss of all assets.

Silver badge

Re: Prison time is required @AC

That's just silly. I hope it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek remark.

If you fine them (personally) mega-millions (even if the law allows this), they will just declare themselves (personally) bankrupt, It also makes the fines largely meaningless if they are in prison for 20 years. By the time they get out of prison, they will be a discharged bankrupt, with the fines written-off. Grab their assets, OK (bankruptcy laws already allow this) , but they probably won't actually have very much to grab. I don't think Michael Robertson was another Kim Schmitz.

By the time they come out of prison, they will not be worth anything much at all anyway, so there is no point in trying to recover any money from them, especially as their skill set will be so dated that they will probably not be able to set up any high revenue service.

And you think that the prison sentence should be more than that for assault or homicide? I would put the sentence for anything that resulted in a person being physically harmed as much higher than just a financial loss.

Don't believe the music industry's assessment of what they have lost. In reality, it's a fraction of what they claim, but the US court system allows them to assess the loss as a certain amount per track, and then add punitive damages. In reality, a streamed-play of a track will not equate to a lost sale, which is what they claim. Most freeloaders will not go and buy a track if they can't stream/download it, they will just move on to something that they can.

Anonymous Coward

Hard knock...

It's a hard knock life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums