back to article Turnbull to add speed test app to MyBroadband web site

Australia's communications minister Malcolm Turnbull today delivered a speech at The Australian Information Industry Association's (AIIA's) Navigating Analytics Summit. Your correspondent tuned in to the live stream, but was confronted by extreme jitter: video often cut out for seconds at a time, usually after just a few seconds …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Speedtest for Oz

I find this one works well for the NBN: Link to my result with OOKLA here

I've been battling with @CommsAU to have HFC downgraded to an E for availability for RWOD:166. It's available to ~6 properties out of the usual 150 that are mean to be in an area. Rating A/E for ADSL (~2Mb/s) but they have rating A for HFC (which implies that 80+ % of home can get it). Pity it's not actually installed for most places since the homes were built after the roll out finished.

The myBroadband site has abysmal quality data and the fact anyone actually made any original NBN decisions based on that data just astounds me.

Anonymous Coward

Double plus good!

Your speed is: Eleventy seven!!

Regards, the clueless.

I think this is a stupid idea. NBN fanbois will simply run the app while also downloading other files or the more technical minded will rate limit traffic from the application.

ISPs know the line speed that customers are connecting to DSLAMs. Internode & iiNet put together a heat map of Sydney about 6 years ago. I think this would be the most reliable source of information.

"I hope a lot of people do it because they will feed in to improve the quality of the information"

Instead of spending ridiculous contractor money on implementing flawed tests, they could just pay speedtest.net for it. Or ask the NSA...

So why are they spending (possibly) millions of our money instead of (probably) thousands?

How else to control the results attained so they can only receive what they want? And its only taxpayers money. The NBN war-chest is full but the main battle is off. What better to spend the leftovers on than propaganda?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums