Twitter CEO Dick Costolo is in China this week visiting the country but rumours of the microblogging platform’s resurrection there have been greatly exaggerated. Twitter and Facebook have been blocked in the Middle Kingdom since 2009, when the government claimed they had been used by protesters to organise ahead of deadly anti- …
It's not _just_ about stifling free speech.
China also want to bolster the home-grown alternatives (weibo, renren). Partly because they're Chinese and generate revenue for the Middle Kingdom, but also because they allow more effective control of the population by... let's say "cooperating fully and enthusiastically" with the Chinese secret service.
Also, given that a lot of data for the Facebook and Twitter platforms end up on NSA servers- I can see this also being a sticking point for the Chinese.
a lot of data ?
You mean ALL the data, don't you ?
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- Vid+Pics Microsoft WINDOWS 10: Seven ATE Nine. Or Eight did really
- Analysis Windows 10: One for the suits, right Microsoft? Or so one THOUGHT
- Xbox hackers snared US ARMY APACHE GUNSHIP ware - Feds
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests