back to article Imagination brings real-time hyper-realistic ray tracing to mobile kit

Imagination Technologies has launched its new PowerVR Wizard GPU series, complete with hardware-accelerated ray tracing, and has also announced the first member of that new product family, the PowerVR GR6500. "This opens up the potential of highly photorealistic, computer generated imagery to a host of new real-time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Interesting, but...

What about the power draw? Important constraint for a mobile device

2. Naughtyhorse

err...

actually I think you'll find ray-tracing traces the ray backwards, from the image plane, through the scene, and into a light source, or if it leaves the extent of the geometry to simulated ambient. That way you end up doing billions less calculations per frame.

</pedant>

carry on

3. LaeMing
    Joke

Renders!

Or it didn't happen!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Constraints?

I need two numbers at a minimum. Price & TDP.

5. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Needs an El Reg comparison unit

We already have the El Reg special size units ™ (6 times the size of Wales etc.)

It's about time we had similar for computer speeds.

What I want to know is 'How many ZX Spectrums is this beast the equivalent of?'

6. John Savard

Appropriate

Since the chip is aimed at mobile devices, it's quite understandable it's specialized for doing calculations in single precision and half precision. But I'll be more excited if the same technology gets applied to better parts for doing double precision calculations.

Which reminds me. When the IBM 360 replaced the IBM 7094 and friends, there was a lot of complaining that while 36-bit floating point was good enough for a lot of scientific work, 32-bit floating point was almost a dead loss from that point of view. IEEE 754, with a hidden first bit, and a base-2 instead of base-16 exponent, tries to improve matters for 32 bits as much as possible, but changing 29 bits (32 minus 3 for the smallest hex first digit) to 33 bits (32 plus 1 for the hidden first bit) doesn't get you to 36 bits.

So parts with faster 36-bit or 48-bit FP than possible for 64-bit FP might please some boffins.

7. Vociferous

Bull.

Yeah, they've developed a chip for mobile phones which outperform nVidia's flagship cards. My ass.

As for single vs double precision: this chip is aimed at gaming and gaming gear is always optimized for single precision. nVidias and AMDs gaming product lines have crippled double precision to avoid competing with their enterprise product lines.

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Bull.

I must admit my bullshit detector went right off the scale too

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

enterprise product lines ?

What company do I have to send a CV to to get paid to play ?

I do hope this tech filters . . up to a proper PC platform and I think it will - eye candy is <u>the</u> criteria for selling games these days, after all, before story, innovation or literally anything else.

And that little bugger can really do eye candy, apparently. If the hype is true, that is.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like