Feeds

back to article Soliton makes its way across silicon in CUDOS experiment

On-chip photonic interconnects are a step closer, with a successful demonstration of soliton compression in silicon from Australia's CUDOS research centre. In a Nature Communications report, a team from CUDOS demonstrates that solitons can be both observed and harnessed in silicon-based photonic systems. Solitons in fibre optic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Kudos to CUDOS.

Needed to go to the original article to grok this. Never heard of solitons before.

Silver badge

"Never heard of solitons before"

Same here. And whilst that may be a tribute to my ignorance, I like to think I'm pretty well educated and well informed, so I doubt there's just the two of us. Perhaps in addition to dribbling on about cat poo in quiet cul-de-sacs, the Reg could actually do a bit of journalism.

Silver badge

Same here. Only I still have no idea what they are, beyond "like a wave but not really".

re: Never heard of solitons before

You haven't been spending enough time hauling goods along the UK's canal system then! Or just watching the canals, as John Scott Russell did. Ok, I admit I couldn't remember his name without looking it up, but this should suggest some experiments you can try at home, if your bath is big enough:

http://www.ma.hw.ac.uk/solitons/press.html

Silver badge

Re: re: Never heard of solitons before

if your bath is big enough

and your arse resembles a barge ;-)

Thank heavens it's not just me. I have now read the Wikipedia article "In mathematics and physics, a soliton is a self-reinforcing solitary wave (a wave packet or pulse) that maintains its shape while it travels at constant speed." but feel I should point out that "read" and "understood" are not synonyms.

This topic is closed for new posts.