back to article Apple pedometer patent filing cranks up the iWatch rumor mill

In yet another indication that Apple's oft-rumored iWatch may include biometric features, the US Patent and Trademark Office has published a Cupertinian patent application for a pedometer designed to be worn on the wrist. United States Patent Application #20140074431, "Wrist Pedometer Step Detection", was published in the USPTO' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Fitbit Flex has been out for ages and does the same sort of thing. As so many other wrist fitness trackers.

Anonymous Coward

Pedometer patent?

Watch out, the 'lad's from the estate will be round to trash the place, bloody perverts...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Pedometer patent?

OTOH, if it *could* detect pedo's it would sell in the gazillions. To pedos for finding "friends", to law enforcement to find the thus gathered groups (nice opportunity to smear people, btw, so also a sale to politicians), to pitchfork bearers so they wouldn't go after paediatricians, to parents for the kids - etc etc.

As for the bootnote - isn't there a massive opportunity for the pr0n industry? Imagine having actual feedback as to which movies (or which parts in a movie) are best to induce watchers to giving themselves Repetitive Stain Injury?

I hope the latter has made you aware of one of the main reasons you really have to reconsider wanting a wrist worn device :)

Silver badge

Block Diagram...

Seems to describe an iphone in all its glory. Maybe that is the "prior art".

Now if the patent office had the public do its search for "prior art" patents might be worth something. To be sure, there is lots of non-patented "prior art".

Silver badge
Stop

I call shotgun!

Yep, this patent is a blatant shotgun approach to try to prevent anyone else doing anything whatsoever with wrist-worn tech. It's absurd.

Silver badge

Two points here:

"Let's just say that the USPTO has its work cut out for it"

I'm not buying it. But the PO will - as long as you pays your bucks, they'll process it.

"noting that a small percentage of its users had reported skin irritation when wearing it,"

So what? I experience irritation when I read about it.

Silver badge

Article title caused serious WTF moment.

The inability of Americans to correctly spell 'paedophile' has forever ruined the Latin prefix 'ped' for me.

Re: Article title caused serious WTF moment.

yeah they screw up a lot of words, mostly its amusing though.

I always giggle when asking an american where they're from, to which they reply "i'm a merkin".

or the classic george w bush "i am proud to be a merkin" which he seemed to state with alarming regularity. probably the most honest words he ever uttered.

schoolyard humor perhaps but bloody hilarious when you consider the growing number of signs appearing across the states demanding that english be proclaimed the official language and anyone who doesn't speak it should go home.

jai
Silver badge

you missed one prior art example

Apple's own iPod Nano that can be worn on a wrist strap and counts the number of steps you take in the Nike app.

Bronze badge

A retrograde step for personalised medical treatment?

Developments in biomonitoring mean that personalised treatments are becoming feasible; from cardiac monitoring to matching drug dose to requirements. It would truly be a shame if progress in this area were to be hampered by patent wars.

Bronze badge

Re: A retrograde step for personalised medical treatment?

Here's a neat example of medical use:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140319103612.htm

gotta love these patents

include every technology possible in the patent, then produce something using probably bluetooth and buttons, then wait for someone to make one with wifi and a touchscreen and screw them in the courts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums