Feeds

back to article NZ bloke's drunken poker bet ends in 99-letter name

A New Zealand lad is finally feeling the full effect of a lost poker bet some five years after he was obliged to change his name to "Full Metal Havok More Sexy N Intelligent Than Spock And All The Superheroes Combined With Frostnova." According to the New Zealand Herald, the 22-year-old Normanby local duly registered his new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Vanity Names !

Ha! after Vanity Plates for your car, Vanity Names for your passport - a new idea to fill in the UK budget deficit before you have time to spell a 99 letter surname.

After all meeeelions of Chavs and Chavettes on the streets more than ready to spend their dole money to be called "Mr Strong Arms S*x Machine", "Miss Classy Diamonds of Beauty".....

Silver badge

Re: Vanity Names !

"After all meeeelions of Chavs and Chavettes on the streets"

I see you are using the last refuge of cowards and bullies.

All your usual insults are not useable in comments sections?

Anyway, the cost of personal plates takes them out of the realms of the poor and in to those of the fairly well off. Ever looked at prices?

Elmer Phud:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are you one of those miserable, badly dressed LibDems?

Silver badge

If they were cheap, no-one would want one.

Silver badge

" Ever looked at prices?"

Yes, and they start at a couple of hundred quid. Hardly bank-breaking.

MJI
Silver badge
Pint

Re: Vanity Plates !

You have it the wrong way round, you change your name to your cars registration number.

Silver badge

Violence?

Is an awesome name.

Re: Violence?

Well, there is a tradition for naming girls after virtues, so in the opposite case, logically...

(Terry Pratchett thought of it before I did.)

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Ah yes, Bestiality Carter & siblings

Silver badge

"Shut up or piss off!"

"Oh, that's not very nice!"

"No, those are the two names I'm considering. They'll be very handy in later life for getting into fights and things."

(Or something like that.)

Bronze badge

"Shut up or piss off!"

Don't forget the big, bad, "I said NO!"

Silver badge
Pint

The Name Game.

This should be great fun. I've got me popcorn and now to see what the commentards come up with.

Ok... beer than since there's no popcorn icon!!!!

Bronze badge

Well

Fullmetal Havok is a good name for a rock band tho.

Or a metal band.

However, Beauty Blossom is a valid name for Chinese girls (provided that it's a hepburn transliteration of the original Chinese pronounciations). If the court blocked that, it would be just wrong.

Anonymous Coward

FTFY

If the court blocked that, it would be just wong.

Re: Well

If my Mandarin is still working, then "Beauty Blossom" would be rendered as "Mei Hua" in Beijing. A perfectly valid name not expected to raise eyebrows (but then, "Y Pong" is also a valid girl's name in Mandarin, so...)

Our kids' Mandarin names are "Joy of dawn's first light" and "Harmonious intra-personal relationships". They're more snappy in Mandarin, though.

Bronze badge
Happy

Worra laff

Bizarre that Talula Does The Hula is deeply frowned upon (I thought it was quite sweet) while Number 16 Bus Shelter is approved. It's a very peculiar world.

Mind you, this is from someone who named his youngest son Henry William Twelve Minutes (perfectly legally in the UK) in celebration of the twelve minutes it took from waters breaking to birth.

Re: Worra laff

from waters breaking to birth.

Until I got to that part, I was assuming it was a boast, of sorts, highlighting the other end of the pregnancy.

Anonymous Coward

Twelve Minutes

Could have been worse; Henry William Whoosh Pop! Howzat?

I still don't think he'll thank you for it

Silver badge

"Henry William Twelve Minutes <surname>"

Please tell me you're joking?

Imagine this day:

"Do you, Henry William Twelve Minutes Smith take Claire Jones to be your lawful, wedded wife?"

And think about what you've done.

Steven R

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

"Do you, Henry William Twelve Minutes Smith take Claire Jones to be your lawful, wedded wife?"

Could be worse:

"Do you, Henry William Twelve Minutes Hogwood take Claire Jones to be your lawful, wedded wife?"

Silver badge
Unhappy

Lovely. My middle name (and that of my first born) are taken from my paternal grandfather. Your son gets his from his mother's birth canal.

JDX
Gold badge

Fish & Chips (for twins)

Amazing. Going to remember that one.

For pets, not children.

Thumb Up

Re: Fish & Chips (for twins)

Crispy, Aromatic, Orange and Hoi Sin.

Four ducks.

I had 2 turkeys - Christmas and Easter.

Silver badge

One of my ex bosses had 2 geese - Christmas Dinner and Freezer.

This and That for pets, it's great for explaining their names to people, e.g this is this and that's that...

Silver badge

Sushi and Sashimi

2 goldfish

Silver badge

Am I the only one (besides the parents) that thinks Fish & Chips are awesome names for twins?

I mean really, they let worse ones through!

Bronze badge

I've been thinking of changing mine to

Davinco Zambezi's Dead Goldfish Band Unaccompanied By Yesterday's Fried Fingers.

Silver badge

We need a follow up story

Where Mr Frostnova expresses indignation that various computer systems around the world have built in assumptions about the length and form that names take, and how dare they break when confronted with an unconventional name.

If that sounds absurd, it's already happened on at least one occasion with a person whining that Google+ didn't recognise their 1-word made-up name.

Re: We need a follow up story

There's an excellent post on Kalzumeus about the assumptions that programmers (and plenty of other people) make about names and how they're often wrong: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

You say "1 word made-up name" but plenty of people in the world only have one name - e.g. about 20%-ish of Indonesians.

http://www.ibtimes.com/sukarno-suharto-megawati-why-do-some-indonesians-have-only-one-name-1408204

You might think that that is a cultural oddity of no real significance but the Indonesian market is 245 million people and its economy grew 6-ish% last year. In my finest South Park ski instructor voice: if your social media can't handle the names of your new user base, you're gonna have a bad time.

Bronze badge

Hmmmm

What about the pseudo oriental Noe-Kon-Dom ?

Bronze badge

Were they from Taumata­whakatangihanga­koauau­o­tamatea­turi­pukakapiki­maunga­horo­nuku­pokai­whenua­kitanatahu per chance?

Silver badge

Of course

But it is so much hassle to get someone else to type in, they just say they are from Waikikamukau.

Re: Of course

Spent a while traveling with a girl who hailed from Whykickamoocow, which was the source of much merriment when meeting with other folks.

Bronze badge

...on the shores of Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.

Right down the road from me, actually (well, a bit of a drive, but still...what are the odds?)

Max Power

Bronze badge

Llanfair P. G.

This being a British web site, I was expecting a certain Welsh village to get mentioned in the comments...

No 16 Bus Shelter

Sadly, it took me a few seconds to realise why you might want to call your child that.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: No 16 Bus Shelter

Romantic, isn't it.

$127 fee

I'd almost stump up the fee for the poor guy to change his name back again- if I had the money and he hadn't. Then again- given past form, whats to say he wouldn't loose it on a hand of poker.........

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: $127 fee

whats to say he wouldn't loose it on a hand of poker

I doubt that it's possible, but he might lose it.

Happy

The obligatory xkcd reference

Little Bobby Tables .... http://xkcd.com/327/

I love that there's someone called Number 16 Bus Shelter wandering around. :-)

Bronze badge

Traditional

I believe the traditional nickname is 0x10.

AFAIK, no-one has attempted to name a child with a URL/URI.

4, 3, 2, ...

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Traditional

no-one has attempted to name a child with a URL/URI.

Uri Geller?

Anonymous Coward

I'm a fan

of 'Help I'm trapped in a driving licence factory' - see http://xkcd.com/327/ and mouseover

Anonymous Coward

RE: Fish & Chips

Shirley Sam 'n' Ella is what you're looking for (or not as the case may be...)

Coat

Fenchurch

That is all

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.