back to article Tegile's tech trajectory: All-flash function in hybrid mutant body

Hybrid array startup Tegile has a new system coming that will provide all-flash array functionality within its hybrid architecture. CTO Rajesh Nair said two new systems were coming: one in a couple of months and a second one by the end of 2014. He provided some details. The first one will be a companion to the existing high- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Maddox Silver badge

Competition

I'm not sure that I see Tintri as a competitor to Tegile. They're both hybrid storage, true, but Tintri is purpose-built for virtual machine storage, and Tegile is presumably for general-purpose block storage. Tintri would arguably not be suited for high-volume, high transaction workloads. Conversely, the other vendors are right in Tegile's sights, although Nimble is arguably lower-end as an iSCSI-only array. EMC and NetApp, on the other hand, are ripe for the picking, since they have both failed to deliver a really compelling hybrid storage product so far, and most pure-play flash storage is still too expensive for people who need high capacity. I think Tegile's approach is pretty compelling, although, as always, one has to discover how the product performs in the real world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Competition

I love how you caveat everything ever so slightly.

Here are the facts:

1. Nimble is not a lower-end storage platform. The CS460G-X2 can easily replace a VNX5500 system (that's midrange). I know because I did it.

2. Virtualization can handle applications with high volume, high transactional workloads. Anyone who tells you that isn't true isn't living in the present or is as conservative with his IT as Teddy C is around his voting record.

3. Tintri can do high perf transactional workloads. As long as it fits [in flash that is w/ appropriate reserve], you must admit [it can do it].

4. Both EMC and NetApp are selling 1000s of systems with flash. That is the definition of hybrid. I can't see why you don't think Netapp Flash Cache to be ideal fit for VDI. Similarly EMC FAST is very cool tech to butter access (yes, i said butter access) to their write in place file system.

BTW in the spirit of disclosure I don't work at any of these companies or their PR firms. Based on your writing style and past comments around Tegile, it seems like there may be some affiliation. Can you clarify?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Competition

Is pcie flash and nvdimms going to be cheap enough to displace ssds. What about the likes of skyera/ I think tegile has soemthing going for them.

This topic is closed for new posts.