back to article John Sculley set to take on Apple in India with budget smartmobes

John Sculley, the former Apple CEO best known as the man who fired Steve Jobs, is making a move in the Indian smartphone market with a new venture which will sell Rs.12,000 ($US197) handsets to the masses. Inflexionpoint, the global “IT supply chain company” he founded, owns China-based distributor Dragon Technology, which will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

So why does he think he'll succeed?

There are many players already competing for customers from $25 all the way up, and just about all of them manufacture their phones in China.

Doesn't sound like he's going to bring anything new to the table with what will probably be a "me too" Android phone that will be lost in the sea of competitors. Glad I don't have any money in this destined-to-fail venture.

Anonymous Coward

Too late John

You could have changed the world. Instead, you settled for the blandest suit in the Bored Room.

Anonymous Coward

Let there be a price war !

And have a dream of affordable smartphone for the masses, all sub $50.

Why not ?

And let Apple/Samsung wither, with their $500 plus prices. They have had it too good for far too long and have taken the consumers for granted, now.

Silver badge

Re: Let there be a price war !

You can dream of that all you want, but since $150 smartphones haven't hurt sales of $500 Apple or Samsung phones, why should sub-$50 do so?

Sounds like you just dislike success. No one has ever forced you to choose either company.

Bronze badge

Well, his tenure with Apple went so well...

...how could he possibly fail with this venture? hmmm?

Bronze badge
Alien

On the other hand

I looked at

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

and counted 16 (or was it 18?) smiling faces.

I looked at

http://www.apple.com/

- no smiling faces at all.

Anonymous Coward

As daft as selling Indian phones in China.

Sculley's company is about to go up in smoke.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums