Feeds

back to article Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum

The Hubble space telescope has filmed strange asteroid P/2013 R3 disintegrating chunk by chunk as it screams around our Sun. As announced at the orbiting probe's website here, this particular crumbling space rock is something that's never been seen before. It all started when two surveys, Catalina and Pan-STARRS, spotted an odd …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

It was a swarm of them

They were flying in a stealth formation.... Us meatsasks thought there was just one out there until they went into attack formation.

Silver badge

Re: It was a swarm of them

Damn... you beat me to it. It does look like a group in tight formation suddenly changing the formation.

Yep, first thing I thought too.

TRT
Silver badge

*hides beneath crudely shaped concrete hut*

Bronze badge

error 2035 strikes again

why not just post a link to the video?

Bronze badge

"It is called ice and it gets a little slick."

Need one say any more?

OK, I shall.

Near absolute zero center components meet modest heat, then finally get to describe what volatile means.

Gold badge

Dude...are you smoking timecubes?

Silver badge
Alien

Someone check Bruce Willis' alibi!!

The guy gets away with it once, and now he thinks he has the right to push around every space-rock that comes along...

Alien

"asteroid P/2013 R3"?

It wasn't an asteroid, it was the mother ship our scientists used when they came to check on the progress of the hairless apes, and it was abandoned because our home-world sent a newer, better version to pick us up, so we simply abandoned it... Now, after eons of neglect, it is finally breaking up!

Bronze badge

Giant worm responsible

Exogorth

Anonymous Coward

INFRARED IMAGE USING HD SHOW A PACKAGE BEING DELIVERED

Using Infrared filters and High Definition Boost 6 pieces of the original Asteroid have defined equal size and have 90 degree angles all the same Box shape. It is as if a package was delivered to our Solar System with a designed purpose and a protective covering. The photo is 251 X 400 pixels 43 KB using a 400% zoom Infrared filters with High Definition imaging boosting the DPI to 3000. The 6 pieces are flying a set path of equal distance to one another at this time. This is not a natural artifact but likely a object sent to probe our Solar System as we will soon do with likely Machine Intelligence or Remotely controlled like our Drones.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: INFRARED IMAGE USING HD SHOW A PACKAGE BEING DELIVERED

Being delivered by Universe Parcel Services...?

Should we expect a "Sorry you were out when we tried to deliver your item" message soon?

Silver badge

Re: INFRARED IMAGE USING HD SHOW A PACKAGE BEING DELIVERED

AManFromMars1 forgot to log in

M7S
Bronze badge

Harriet Jones got bored

No Sycorax recently for Torchwood to take potshots at

Silver badge

That's how

An interstellar canister shot looks like. This one's missed - naa-na, na-na-naa-na!

Anonymous Coward

origin

If you look real close, you can see the "Made in China" label on the side....

Bronze badge

Quick!

Break out the Slim Whitman albums!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=684UFG52JNY

ROU

Probably just a Torturer class ROU reconfiguring its fields to appear as something else.

Bronze badge

I am no expert

heh, but t sure looks from the video like a rock hitting an atmosphere and breaking up, maybe it passed through a small* cloud* of something.

*relative terms.

Silver badge

Re: I am no expert

Yes! A dark matter cloud!

Silver badge

“This is a rock"

Well no, actually, it probably isn't. It's more likely to be a loose pile of rubble with only self-gravitation holding it together.

Re: “This is a rock"

Is the density known or estimated?

If the rock were like pumice, whether a pile of rubble or a single lump, then the trapped gas would expand as it heats up nearing the sun, burst out and create the tail we see. A big pocket of gas could easily fracture the whole thing.

Bronze badge

Deliquensively

Braking for rendezvous.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Guess I won't be seeing this then

Could not load plugins:

File not found

Re: Guess I won't be seeing this then

maybe you're the intended target..

Re: Guess I won't be seeing this then

If you're running Firefox + NoScript, just allow jwpcdn.com and reload the page - works fine for me now.

I do wish The Reg would also put up a link to the video embeds in their stories, as not all browsers (esp. mobile) have the required plug-ins.

This topic is closed for new posts.