Feeds

back to article Women! You too can be 'cool' and 'fun' if you work in tech!

Hey ladies! Did you know it's cool to work in tech? EU commish Neelie Kroes is here to tell you all about it, after a study claimed that the lack of women in ICT roles was costing the European Union billions of euros. Happy woman at a computer HURRAY! Now that I work in IT, I'm so fun and cool and in the future! (I really must …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stud

I am hung like a horse and desperate for female attention, you'll probably only have to buy me one crate of Red Bull to win my affections, so come along ladies, join us in the Jetson-esque utopian future of ICT careers.

That sort of thing? shall I go post it now?

10
0
Silver badge

El Reg have this all wrong

This is actually a razor company trying to promote armpit shaving.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

We have a ton of women in our IT department...

...Or at least, managers without any balls.

26
0
Anonymous Coward

Re: We have a ton of women in our IT department...

On their way to the Unix convention.

5
1
Anonymous Coward

Re: We have a ton of women in our IT department...

Righty, they should be promoting the real strengths of working in IT to women.

"You can work 2 hours and be on Facebook / Twitter for the other 6! Why stay home when you can get paid to post crap!"

That should get the ladies to sign up.

5
2
Silver badge

Re: We have a ton of women in our IT department...

> You can work 2 hours and be on Facebook / Twitter for the other 6!

Are you spying on me?!?

6
0
Anonymous Coward

Utter Crap!!!

There are lots of women in ICT, half my managers over the last 4 years have been women. I sit at a desk of 4 of 4 devs with 2 Guys 2 Girls. The whole testing team here is female and the last 2 testers who left were female.

I don't see massive campaigns on getting more male nurses or more male anything for that matter.

21
7

Open your fucking eyes.

Did you actually look, or did you assume that because you don't see such campaigns on a tech blog, they don't exist?

http://aamn.org/choosenursing.shtml

http://www.cinhc.org/programs/recruitment/men-in-nursing/

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/operation-male-nurse-29479023.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_8140000/newsid_8147900/8147979.stm

http://www.dw.de/german-government-campaigns-for-more-male-kindergarten-teachers/a-17143449

and so on.

13
10
Anonymous Coward

Re: Utter Crap!!!

There is also a lot of work being done to try to get male primary teachers.

6
0
Silver badge

Re: Utter Crap!!!

> There is also a lot of work being done to try to get male primary teachers.

Oh, I was under the impression that the Daily Mail had appointed the Paedofinder General to murder any man caught within 10 feet of a child which is not his own.

17
1

Re: Open your fucking eyes.

> Did you actually look, or did you assume that because you don't see such campaigns on a tech blog, they don't exist?

He didn't say they didn't exist, he said he didn't see the campaigns. And frankly, neither have I. Meanwhile, the "we need more women in x" campaigns are getting plastered across the (inter-)national media practically every week.

So if the "we need more men in x" campaigns exist, why aren't they getting as widely publicised as the female equivalents?

14
1

Re: Utter Crap!!!

There was a campaign to get more men to teach in primary schools, but the fact you never saw it speaks of its success.

My son is at college right now doing a B-Tech and there are 2 girls & 32 guys - pretty much the same ratios when I was at Uni 30 yrs ago.

1
0
Silver badge

Re: Open your fucking eyes.

See, that's the problem...

Blokes never see all these male nursing/kindergarten/whatever websites because they don't know they are there.

The terachers at schools, and society in general, does not push them. We don't have bloke nurses sponsored to go to schools and talk about how cool nursing is.

You managed to find 5 with Google.

The females in IT/engineering barrow is pushed MUCH harder: newspapers, govt media blitz,...

For instance, here in NZ a woman can get free engineering training at polytech. Blokes can't. There are huge billboards promoting girls in IT. Nothing about nursing for the boys.

3
0

Re: Open your fucking eyes.

What we need are meta-"we need more men in X campaigns", I shall start a "we need more "we need more men in X campaigns" campaign" forthwith and with immediate procrastination.

3
0
Bronze badge

Re: Open your fucking eyes.

of course they didn't look. 100% of people who make these kinds of generalisations don't look.

one might say, "not looking" is the very reason why generalisations exist in the first place.

1
0
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Open your fucking eyes.

Why should he have to "really look". Isn't the whole point about these campaigns is that they grab the attention of people? You don't do that by hiding your message in a file cabinet in the basement.

If you have to "really look" for it then it's a total crap advertising campaign now isn't it?

1
0
Anonymous Coward

Tech and being cool?

Maybe if you are the CEO of FaceBook.

3
2
Anonymous Coward

Cool Joke

"Tech and being cool?

Maybe if you are the CEO of FaceBook."

Like anything to do with Fakebook is cool! It's as cool as iPhone, FFS! (i.e. yeah last decade!)

4
0
Silver badge

Re: Tech and being cool?

> Maybe if you are the CEO of FaceBook.

Facebook? Oh, grandpa, Facebook is so 2012! All the cool kids use SnapChat and WhatsApp now!

1
0
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Cool Joke

They need to take the Law & Order approach. Present "beautiful people" as practicing the profession. Then after a few years you will see a glut of people who look like that flooding the field. At least it worked for law.

Applying to their sense of "glamour" may be chauvanistic and dirty pool but it's probably what it takes.

This "problem" has very little to do with what goes on in tech or academia.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

So she's cool 'cos she has a terminal and a couple of books?

I must admit, as a bloke I prefer female bosses, 5 out my my 8 tech jobs I've had a female manager. They've always been gutsy, always willing to talk about stuff properly and always willing to front-up to anyone who tried to push the dept about, exactly what you expect in a manager. Not something I can say about every bloke I've worked under.

8
2
Bronze badge

Erm don't tell anyone but that terminal in the picture is not connected to anything. Probably why she is so happy, she has no work today.

Could be a wireless monitor you say? Okay where's the power cord? Induction, you cry! I only know of one induction powered monitor and it ain't the one on her desk.

12
2
Anonymous Coward

"I must admit, as a bloke I prefer female bosses"

I prefer females full stop.

(Simples. End of. :) )

5
3
JLV
Bronze badge

>not connected to anything

"What are you doing?"

"Plugging in your computer"

2
0
Anonymous Coward

Unplugged Computer.........

Roy: OK, lady! You've won this round! But we can wait. You will slip up one day. And believe you me, we will be there when you do. There will be some piece of evidence that will prove without any shadow of a doubt that you don't know anything about computers!

Jen: [to Moss] What are you doing?

Moss: Plugging in your computer.

Roy: [Not realising Moss has found Jen's computer unplugged] It might be something you say, or something you do, but when we notice it - and believe me, we will notice it - it's gonna be a long way down for you, sweetcheeks!

[Leaves Jen's office]

Moss: He'll realise in a second.

5
0

I not sure about the EU, but across the pond, I have had just as many spineless male bosses as spineless female bosses. It has made me appreciate the few good bosses I have had.

7
0
Anonymous Coward

…and she's got pens and pencils in her cup. What respectable I.T. bod doesn't have a hot cup of tea/coffee just waiting to go everywhere?

2
0
Bronze badge

>Probably why she is so happy, she has no work today.

Not none, in fact... only the Post-It (tm) notes to deal with.

0
0
Anonymous Coward

> I prefer females full stop.

Hell yes. Put me in charge of hiring and I'll fix the sausage fest.

AC because, well, I might actually be put in charge of hiring. And a male preferentially hiring females... well...

1
1

So may be the problem is too many women running HR?

5
0
Silver badge

"I not sure about the EU, but across the pond, I have had just as many spineless male bosses as spineless female bosses. It has made me appreciate the few good bosses I have had."

I've also had complete aresholes of both sexes as bosses.

2
0
Coffee/keyboard

"app developers"

I see the obsession with the word "app" is reaching new levels when "coder", "programmer" and other nice words (even simply "developer) have been replaced with "app developer". And I'm pretty sure she doesn't mean designers, because there is plenty of women in that sector.

Also, I'd like to see the study, please.

8
0

Wow this new monitor is the coolest

It doesn't even need a power cable. IT rules yay!!!

13
2

Re: Wow this new monitor is the coolest

It must be one of those new fangled wireless displays

0
1
Gav

Re: Wow this new monitor is the coolest

See. Took a woman to invent it. No wonder she's delighted with herself.

3
2
Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow this new monitor is the coolest

By pulling the power cable, the screen has become more like a mirror so she can apply some more slap.

8
4

Re: Wow this new monitor is the coolest

I don't think it's even a monitor. No openings for ports or power, no vents, plastic looks crude.

Maybe it's a picture frame for the office, so you can look extra professional with more than one monitor on your desk.

They slipped a mirror into this one, then told the nice woman she was looking at a portrait of success.

*click*

5
1

Re: Wow this new monitor is the coolest

She's trying to impress Moss and Roy by looking busy, but doesn't know that they just came into the office to plug in her computer.

4
0

Re: Wow this new monitor is the coolest

Somebody sticky taped some c+ syntax on it and she is enjoying all the codey 'fun!!'

0
0

Re: Wow this new monitor is the coolest

"Somebody sticky taped some c+ syntax on it".

Like an extra "+" symbol, perhaps?

4
0

Not enough Women in the Drainage and Sewer Maintenance industries either.

I look forward to the EU campaign to redress this imbalance.......

21
1
Anonymous Coward

Re: Not enough Women in the Drainage and Sewer Maintenance industries either.

There are plenty of campaigns to get women into engineering - of the civil variety in the examples you cite.

4
0
TRT
Silver badge

Re: Not enough Women in the Drainage and Sewer Maintenance industries either.

My ex-wife's a roofer. She went for a local position with Network Rail, but they said it was a bit above her station.

16
0

This post has been deleted by a moderator

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Not enough Women in the Drainage and Sewer Maintenance industries either.

I'm sure her co-workers would have got used to it.

2
0
Bronze badge

Re: Not enough Women in the Drainage and Sewer Maintenance industries either.

There's a lass on t'bins in my town. Someone asked how she puts up with the lads and she's never had any problem with them; she's coarser than they are.

4
0

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Not enough Women in the Drainage and Sewer Maintenance industries either.

Now that is 'fun'[ny] shit

And who downvoted the post above me?

I thought it was hilarious!

He could have said the last time he saw a woman on the bins he was inserting her pieces into them, which is where I thought he was going..

0
0
Silver badge

I absolutely agree, there should be more women in tech. But don't be fooled, cool it ain't, not for the vast majority.

4
0

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.