back to article Bloke rattles tin for giant 3D two-headed beast

We suspect that the Kickstarter-funded 3D printer bubble is fast approaching burst point, as hopefuls queue up to rattle their tins and get their necks in the DIY-extruded trough. It's a tough market. California outfit TJIKO Labs recently failed to raise the $35k it needed to get a snap-together printer into production, so it' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

over eight different materials

Does that mean "nine"?

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Thumb Up

Re: over eight different materials

I was going to upvote you, but you already had nine, and it seemed wrong to spoil it.

Have an iconic thumb up instead. ;o)

2. DaLo

"...can still get an "early adopter" LATHON kit for $1,450"

Well you can pledge a donation of $1,450 to support the project and as a reward they might send you a 3D printer, as long as everything goes to plan...

3. John Gamble
    Boffin

Waiting for the Fed-Ex/Kinko's of 3D Printing

I actually believe the explosion of 3D printers (via Kickstarter or some other method) is a good thing. It's reminding me of the various versions of personal computers in the seventies and eighties, back before the IBM PC became the beast to emulate by the other manufacturers.

Eventually we'll get to a few standard models, and then... well, I probably still won't buy one, but I expect that someday I'll be able to e-mail a file to my local 3D fabbing shop for either pick-up or delivery.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Waiting for the Fed-Ex/Kinko's of 3D Printing

Stratasys is probably the Microsoft of 3D printing, or at least their business methods are similar.

1. John Gamble

"... or at least their business methods are similar."

Proprietary modeling language, or something else?

2. J. Cook Silver badge
      Boffin

Most of the 3D printers I've seen on the market appear to be either clones of the MakerBot, or a modified/'improved' RepRap.

No, I've not been looking for one, why do you ask?

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

>someday I'll be able to e-mail a file to my local 3D fabbing shop for either pick-up or delivery.

You can today, just as you have been able to do so for years.

In the last couple of years we have seen websites such as Ponoko.com aimed at 'hobbyists', whereas previously such services were aimed at, though not exclusive to, commercial users.

Alternatively, search the web for your local 'maker group' and negotiate a price.

3D CAD software has had 'File'> 'Print to...'> [3D printing bureau] for a few years now. Otherwise, STL files usually come in at under the max size allowed by most email services.

Hell, even my local timber yard offers CNC cut materials at around £100 per hour (but their machine is so fast that in reality this service only adds around 20% to the cost of 4' x 8' plywood or MDF).

5. rvt

I always wondered why kickstarter projects need so little money, if you cannot get in 35k yourself, 3 blokes at 12k each. Then it still screams hobby to me.

I also wonder, if the project is really such a good idea surly you can hookup iwth a company close to you? How many of these kickstarter companies do still exists today?

1. DaLo

Maybe because when you stop doing a salaried job to start on a new, risky, business venture you would prefer not to be using your last reserves of money and betting the house on it.

You might want to use any reserves you have to pay for your food and bills.

This topic is closed for new posts.