back to article Hacking Team snoopware found on US servers

Canada's Citizen Lab has added to its record of uncovering government snooping using Hacking Team's software, has dropped a bombshell: it's accused 12 American data centres of hosting clients deploying the spyware. In its latest report, Hacking Team's US Nexus, Citizen Lab* says there are 114 servers in America, in at least a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 85

And so it spreads.

To me, what would be news is finding a country that doesn't have a government snooping team/department/agency.

1. WatAWorld

Re: And so it spreads.

To me, it is only news when a country is doing snooping on all of its own people or all of the people of a long-time alley.

Are these servers big enough for that? I didn't think so.

Uzbekistan, Poland, Mexico, Colombia, Morocco, Thailand, the UAE, Korea* Morocco and Azerbaijan.

It is likely that they are doing normal spying on government and military of military enemies.

Poland is only a new ally (it illegally hosted a torture camp for the USA and joined NATO).

And Mexico and Columbia, well we (at least those of us who follow the news) know Mexico and Columbia have been heavily spied upon by the USA.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Move On, Please. Nothing to See Here in that Not Highly Unusual Modus Operandi et Vivendi

No shit, Sherlock, but that is the New Surreal Norm, aint it. Stealthy IntelAIgent Systems are here to stay, and to pay for too, pal, even if they be as Untouchables in Shadows and Intangibles in Dark Web Ventures.

Welcome to ITs NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive AIReality ...... where nothing is as it seems, nor even as mainstream media believes and pimps, and would have you too believe in, and deceive yourself, with their doctored information dumps. And please, before doing any crazy voting action, or voicing an errant opinion, for they are never ever at all helpful, have a wee read at this, which you may or may not believe but which is most certainly true enough to be historically real and certainly classified in its heyday most probably as TS/SCI and easily at least verging on the surreal ....... http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-05/guest-post-letter-cass-sunstein#comment-4514930

The tale on which that provided comment trails from, is also an enlightening read in this spooky times :-) ...... and it does have one wondering what present current global delights are being badly stage managed by failed intelligence and media services for political puppets to prat about with pretentiously and pretend to be powering towards problem solution.

3. RAMChYLD

Why am I not surprised to see GoDaddy in the list?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: ...

My first thought as well.

4. nematoad
    Happy

Hah!

The biter bit.

Should not of happened of course but if it did I can't think of a better country to have it happen to.

Better get the UK data centres disinfected whilst you're at it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hah!

"Better get the UK data centres disinfected whilst you're at it."

You assume that the named countries are the originators of the surveillance. Just as likely to be NSA/GCHQ (or any other Western spy agency) using multiple relays and hosting in the named locations to hide the fact that they are doing it.

5. pacman7de
    Facepalm

Why am I not surprised ..

the purposeful use of US servers for the surreptitious transmission of wiretapped data to foreign governments

I've always assumed someone was monitoring my communications ..

6. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Dude, laws are for the weak and not for the mighty?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Changing the Rules with a New Phorm of Executive Administering Operating Systems

Dude, laws are for the weak and not for the mighty? ... All names Taken

Howdy, All names Taken,

Are fool laws which avoid and prevent natural justice what make the weak, mighty? And what of the meek whenever their dander is up? You don't want to be crossing them with bold nonsense and guff bluster and bluff court room rhetoric fit only for the barrack room.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    FAIL

The ironymeter just exploded like a fatladen overripe sausage in a pan!

“The extensive and deliberate use of dedicated US hosting companies by foreign countries’ wiretapping activities raises a number of pressing legal and policy concerns,” Citizen Labs says. “These include whether RCS client countries violate US law and longstanding international legal principles on sovereignty and nonintervention through use of this spyware."

Oh noes. Someone is violating US laws, not to mention suddenly re-relevant "international principles" which can only be violated by Team USA.

SOMEONE CALL THE WAAHHABULANCE!!

Citizen Lab is an interdisciplinary laboratory based at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, Canada that focuses on researching the relationship between technology, human rights, and global security.

They clearly also doing practical research in reaching previously unheard levels of faggotry.

1. WatAWorld

I suspect the entire rest of the "Munk School of Global Affairs" is hiding in shame.

I suspect the entire rest of the "Munk School of Global Affairs" is hiding in shame as the rest of U of Toronto laughs and points fingers.

I wonder if Peter Munk will ask to have his name removed.

8. WatAWorld

The news is actually available in Canada, Citizen Labs just doesn't watch it.

Isn't the official US position that spying on elected leaders, elected and un-elected officials, and regular ordinary people is perfectly acceptable behaviour.

And the US position is that a government doesn't have to obey a foreign government's laws.

So the US can't have a complaint.

It might be illegal, it might be unethical, it might be anti-democratic, it might be a step in Putinizing ones own country, but the USA has led the way in doing it on an unprecedented scale.

"“The extensive and deliberate use of dedicated US hosting companies by foreign countries’ wiretapping activities raises a number of pressing legal and policy concerns,” Citizen Labs says. “These include whether RCS client countries violate US law and longstanding international legal principles on sovereignty and nonintervention through use of this spyware. Moreover, RCS client countries, by exposing wiretap data to US and other jurisdictions, may have violated internal laws governing the safeguarding of wiretapped material.”"

They're completely ignorant of current affairs.

9. Mpeler
    Black Helicopters

whodunnit

"The governments named include Uzbekistan, Poland, Mexico, Colombia, Morocco, Thailand, the UAE, Korea* Morocco and Azerbaijan (*the report doesn't say North or South Korea; El Reg presumes it means Norks)."

Wouldn't necessarily be Norks....otherwise how could Samsung get all those things that were

"almost but not completely unlike" Apple's (and others) (er, to, um, borrow a phrase....)...

10. vang0gh
    Facepalm

If you ask me, it's kind of sad when your intelligence budget can only get you an SSL cert from GoDaddy and a VPS on Linode.

This topic is closed for new posts.