back to article Facebook cans Windows and Firefox Messenger apps

Facebook took another step away from the desktop on Thursday with the announcement that it’s canning its Messenger app for Windows and Firefox from next week. The social network said support will end on March 3, in the following brief message sent to users: We're sorry, but we can no longer support Facebook Messenger for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Number6

Don't let the door catch you on the way out...

Nothing like a bit of notice for those who were using it. Or is it like an insurance company, sending the renewal through almost too late for you to shop around and find something cheaper? Trying to push people onto WhatsApp, perhaps?

Not that I ever used their messenger stuff, there's a limit to the number it's sensible to use and I never saw a latecomer like that as worth it on computers.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: Don't let the door catch you on the way out...

Fortunately they DO still support XMPP or whatever it's called, so most jabber apps can connect to it :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enter the new verb: myspacing

<joke>

With the following proposed meanings:

- Randomly trying things to see if one of them generates growth in an already saturated web market

or

- Purchasing overvalued properties in the hopes of sidelining competitors

or

- Taking actions that no one, even the billionaire founders can explain.

</joke>

I know FB is nowhere near the collapse of myspace, but perhaps these are the first signals of them fading into irrelevance? Is Facebook starting to myspacing itself?

3. Havin_it

Firefox

Bet Mozilla are pleased. The only notable entity making use of their Social API (aka that "Services" tab that appeared without fanfare in about:addons a while back) has bailed, leaving only

* Cliqz.

* Mixi (Available in Japan only).

* Saavn

* Delicious

MSN Now for Firefox previously available was shut down on December 3, 2013.

FB was probably the main reason they spent time bringing this pish into existence. Egg, meet face. Now stop trying to show off and go fix some of those bugs!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like