Sony Electronics announced that it will shut 20 of the 31 stores it operates in the US and lay off 1,000 workers – a third of its workforce. The entertainment giant said the redundancies are part of Sony Corp's wider cash-cutting program, which will axe 5,000 jobs worldwide and kicked off at the start of February. Back then, it …
I note that quite a few Sony shops in the UK (most of which were franchises I seem to recall) have also closed in the last few months.
Though to be honest even as a bit of a Sony fanboy I found their stores to be lacking in products on display. It's almost as if they didn't make AV amps or more than one BR player....
Ours is the only place I have seen their new mid range surround sound receivers. But then we have lost all three of our home cinema / HiFi shops locally.
But then the previous SC franchise holder went bump and they were a well respected local company with multiple home electronic shops.
Hard market these days, and nowhere to test what you want to buy. How do I compare between the receivers in this price range, I now cannot.
RIP all of the home cinema specialists. And strangely we lost our last model shop due to the downstairs HC / HiFi / Photographic place shutting.
So if our SC shuts down we would have a city with no HiFi or Home Cinema shop at all.
They wonder why our town centre is so quiet, well where are all the shops?
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- Vid Find email DIFFICULT? Print this article out and give it to someone 'techy'
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew? How long? Anyone ... Hello ...
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date