back to article NASA could have averted near DROWNING TERROR in SPACE

NASA could have prevented the near-drowning of International Space Station 'naut Luca Parmitano last summer, an investigation panel has decided. The European Space Agency astronaut almost drowned when the helmet of his spacesuit started filling with water during a spacewalk in July. Parmitano managed to navigate his way back …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. IglooDude
    Joke

Are we sure it wasn't just a test run for waterboarding in space? The problem with Guantanamo seems to be that prisoners can eventually be retrieved from there, so Martian extraordinary rendition would seem to solve a lot of problems for the US government.

Joke icon, sure, but one does wonder what John Yoo is up to these days...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

A prison in space?

"Lock Out" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1592525/

A rather fun 'Futuristic prison in Spaaaaace' film, written by Luc Besson wearing his competent 'B-movie' hat (so its more comparable to 'Transporter' or 'Taxi' than it is to 'Leon', 'The 5th Element' or 'Angel A')

1. codejunky Silver badge

Lock Out

Amazingly impressed with this film considering they obviously had a very limit budget. I found it was better than a lot of big budget films. Somehow reminded me of escape from NY.

2. Johan Bastiaansen

inorganic contaminants

Inorganic? Will the cover-ups never cease?

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

pace was still "a harsh, inhospitable frontier and we are explorers, not colonisers"

Ah, give it time. We're capable of it - just got to get big business to see the possibilities then we'll be away :)

4. Sammy Smalls

Hoover in space?

With all that lovely vacuum outside?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Hoover in space?

Well, in his blog, Parmitano did say that he nearly used the space vacuum cleaner. He decided that if the water got to his mouth, he would open the emergency release valve on his helmet, and hope that some of the water would escape and the rest freeze, thus temporarily closing the valve for him (in case he couldn't).

But he said he decided this was a definitely last-ditch thing to do, and never quite got to it. Even though he had to find the airlock blinded by the water, and with no working radio to call for help.

In space, no-one can hear you scream. Or even go "glub, glub, glub. glub, erk."

I know they pick people who don't panic easily to be astronauts. But it's one thing staying calm, when you're doing what you've trained for. It's another staying calm when your nose and eyes have filled with water, you're just waiting for it to get to your mouth, you can't see or hear, and your alternatives are drowning or asphyxiating in a vacuum.

Do NASA do an award for The Big Brass Balls of Calmness?

1. willi0000000

Re: The Big Brass Balls of Calmness

NASA does not currently have such an award and is not contemplating having one. everybody who climbs aboard one of those explosives-packed, disintegrating totem poles would get one.

i don't know if the audio recordings of the Apollo I fire are publicly available (i rather hope not) but i've heard that the crew were calm and trying to work on escape right up to the end. these people are professionals!

[there's not enough brass to make the awards big enough anyway]

5. Don Jefe

Could Not Have Prevented

You can't really say something 'could have been prevented'. Well, I guess you can say it, but it doesn't help anything. It isn't really fair that somebody(ies) at NASA have to fall on their own sword and say something they know is patently false. Just so they can appease some Bible thumping Congressperson who sees NASA as nothing more than a potential way to rid the country of poor people by launching them into space.

The ISS is the absolute worst case, nightmare scenario, for fault analysis on anything. As a rule, things beyond the Maintenance Boundary (a physical limit on routine service: space, deep ocean, mountain tops, really deep holes, deserts, dense jungle, etc...) don't have people there as well. People screw everything up.

They don't (usually) do it on purpose, but they do it and nobody knows they are doing it. That's not intended to insult anyone, it's just the way things work. If you are in the same place, constantly, (jail cell, hospital room, interment crypt, submarine, space station) for more than a few days your brain starts fucking with you. Even if you write down each and every action you perform after about five days you start to lose temporal location ability and yesterday becomes the Monday after your shoelace broke (last memorable event is what most people mess up first).

What that all means is that when you start fault analysis you never have a good picture of what is actually happening and 97% of the time it's going to be something mundane, that everybody has been doing for years and it ultimately caused a failure to occur. But it's so mundane nobody realizes they are doing it.

Like bracing their hip on the corner of a cabinet and the cabinet is just a teensy bit loose and is pushing a pipe behind it and the joint sealant on the pipe is crumbling due to mechanical stress and the parts are falling into the filter for the water system and reacting with the bag.

Who knows, and the answer in a situation like this is quite often 'nobody knows and nobody finds out with certainty because it's cost prohibitive. Just replace the drink bags and be done with it'. Hopefully that woks, but it doesn't always happen.

Anyway, so you've got a bunch of Humans having to make themselves as comfy as possible so they're doing 'unintended' things to other things, their sense of time is just broken and for anybody to get good answers they've got to send the broken thing back to Earth which means you can't get good answers. If mechanical failures aren't incredibly obvious at first glance you destroy any real chance of high-confidence analysis if you move the broken thing, at all. Boxing it up and lobbing it through space and back to Earth in a Russian beer can then flying it to Houston (or wherever spacesuits are serviced) pretty much guarantees that good answers can't be found.

There are just too many variables to say with certainty what caused the fault. We make a lot of things that go into high risk systems with all potential failures are catastrophic and I'm comfortable signing off on those things. But I wouldn't sign off with confidence on this issue unless a huge set of data was available to set those variables. I know for a fact the ISS doesn't have the capacity onboard to do that though so a really, really good guess is all you're going to get.

That's guess isn't a function of capabilities or knowledge, the exact opposite actually, it's just the reality of a bunch of top tier engineering challenges coming together at a single point. That's why I don't think NASA should take a beating on this. Nobody should. It's the most unsafe thing in the world to make safety second guesses like that. It creates false assurances that (x) is fixed, now everything is perfectly safe. Well, no, fuck no it isn't. Whatever you've changed has set in motion a new set of events that will lead to failure elsewhere and you've already proven you'll fall on your sword.

The problems in this scenario are made about 500x more complex because small batches of things (like spacesuits) don't lend themselves to good analysis processes. If you've got 1 of something, of huge quantities of something, you can sort a lot of issues with just good quality statistical analysis. But not small batches. There are far too many variables to get useful results.

I'm glad nobody died, but even if they had, it still doesn't justify anyone accepting responsibility for physics and chemistry. It's high risk science and weird wacky things are supposed to happen. It really is rocket science and the idea that anyone is at fault here is unfair, unsafe and unproductive. Besides, now there's a proven process for escaping a spacesuit full of liquid while you're in space. They should call it the 'Parmitano Maneuver'!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Could Not Have Prevented

I mostly agree with you. If they'd taken out the drink bag and squeezed it, they might have seen there were no leaks in it, and kept checking. Although that doesn't necessarily account for all the valves and tubing going to the drnking nozzle. And they probably don't have the tools onboard for a much better analysis than that.

But it is dangerous to assume that because you have a known problem, all problems of a similar type must be that known problem. And this is another reminder of that. Now we have two known problems that cause water leaks in the helmet.

I hiope no-one takes any blame, but everyone learns something.

They just need to act more like the idealised version of air safety than medical safety. Far better to place as little blame as possible, learn lessons, tell everyone and retrain. Rather than have a blame culture with financial penalties that leads to even more cover-up than organisations are normally prone to.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Could Not Have Prevented

Agreed. I hate to see anyone hurt, or dead, but once that has happened there's no going back. Better to move forward with a little more knowledge, than toss out people who know every detail about a hugely complicated project because some weird issue occurred. There's nothing to be gained by derailing the lives and careers of people who did nothing wrong.

Not doing this or that to address a one off issue isn't wrong. A lot of bad decisions get made when people go trying to fix something that's only happened once. It's not a behavior thing where the only thing stopping a recurrence is someone changing behaviors, it's materials issue. You can't move, safely, without enough information to act on. We see tons of bad ideas come out of people 'simulating' things and successfully replicating the end result, but that's not a valid thing to do.

Obvious solutions do exist, sure, but an equal amount of 'holy shit, did that just really happen' weird solutions are out there too. And just because something obvious occurs, that doesn't automatically mean some really weird thing wasn't occurring in parallel or preceding the obvious.

I'm not an astronaut, but I know a few, as well as quite a few other people out on the edge of discovery. I don't believe any of them would want someone else to be harmed by 'political' finger pointing after an accident. Trying to shoehorn the thought processes of 'normal' people into the mouths of people who ride rockets into space isn't very useful either.

6. NogginTheNog
    Thumb Up

Luca Parmitano's calm demeanour in a terrifying situation

Given the fact he lives in a tin can in space, got there on top of a thousands-mile-an-hour firecracker, and at the time was outside the ISS in a space suit (which must be one of the most claustrophobic experiences imaginable), I've a hunch that "calm demeanour" is the a part of everyday life for them all?! Big up to him, and all the 'explorers' though.

1. asdf

Re: Luca Parmitano's calm demeanour in a terrifying situation

Yep they can be pretty picky about who they send into space and people who panic tend not to make the cut I assume. I heard an interview where an astronaut says the way they think in space is constantly asking themselves what's the next thing that can kill me and how do I deal with it now. He also said they test if you are claustrophobic by zipping you up in a little ball thing without telling you how long you will be in there and leaving you in there for awhile. I imagine claustrophobia is one thing an astronaut can never have.

7. Mystic Megabyte
    Holmes

Different water

It might have been better to analyse the water and see if it was the drinking sort.

I would imagine that the cooling water would have tasted strange after being pumped around a lot of plastic pipes. You would think that it would have contained anti-freeze but it seems not to be the case. A coloured dye would make their life easier.

Maybe a spectroscope could have told them the difference.

http://hackaday.com/2012/08/27/turning-a-webcam-into-a-spectrometer/

8. Stevie

Bah!

Simply fit all space helmets with a drain tap in the same place the air regulator goes on a diving helmet.

Helmet fills, tap spills.

Also: improvised thruster application possible.

I see no downside.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Bah!

I see no downside.

In microgravity there is no downside, which is a problem for drain taps: you know how water drains downhill? What if there is no such thing as downhill? You are just as likely to drain the air out before the water, which would be a very bad thing, which is why Parmitano considered doing this as his absolute last resort.

Icon looks a bit like a space helmet.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge

Read the damn report before blowing off

Don Jefe's post is complete and 100% bullshit.

If you had actually read the actual report (which is very interesting reading)

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Suit_Water_Intrusion_Mishap_Investigation_Report.pdf

then you discover that they tracked down all the variables and determined the many things that went into the problem. It's nothing statistical. It's "this happened, that happened, someone did this, and boom" and we have the records of it all.

NASA does this sort of fault analysis all the time. Heck, they do fault analysis BEFORE they build/launch anything to get a grip on the scope of possible problems and how difficult the solutions would be. It's originally borrowed from the processes the USAF used to discover why they now have a smoking crater instead of an airplane.

You'll also discover that the investigators check how many times the drink bags have leaked, and the number has been zero, except for minor droplets when the mouth valve is bumped. As a matter of fact, they get a little annoyed at the number of times they were told this (many) and the number of times they were able to back it up (zero)

They did take the drink bag out afterward and squeeze it, and it didn't leak. You can't do that on an EVA though, because it's inside the suit.

The 1st problem is the suits are not designed for ISS. They were designed to go up in the Shuttle, do a couple EVAs, come back down and get cleaned up & maintained. They weren't designed to go more than 3 weeks w/o work.

How did they get approved for 6mo stays on ISS? "We don't have anything better" - wrong answer.

As a result, the ISS crew does what it can without the specialty tools & knowledge to really do a good job.

The next Dragon flight this month is carrying the first new suit to go up since the Shuttle.

Why was opening the purge valve a last resort? "We think it might damage the suit, we don't know, we've never actually tested it" - wrong answer.

Why was the CO2 sensor dying (because of the water, but they didn't know it) OK? "oh they do that all the time! it's not a problem!" - wrong answer.

The 2nd problem is that nobody knew what the water would do in zero-gee. They thought it would get blown by the fan onto the visor looking like rain on a windshield. They also thought the fan/sep would stall out because that's what it did on the ground. They thought it'd be a visibility problem, and that'd be it.

Instead, in zero-gee, the water collects at the outlet behind the head, then when you get enough, it capillaries onto his head and into his scalp, ears, eyes, nose, etc as it happened. This was a completely different outcome and threw the troubleshooting process out the window.

Mission control dicked around trying to do troubleshooting for too long, but they did finally realize "we don't know WTF is going on, we need to bring him back in"

The rest of the problems are mostly people, like nobody ever talks to the EVA office, therefore the EVA office doesn't talk to anybody else, and the normal organizational issues. One of the issues of course is that there's no funding for improved suits, and since the Shuttle ended, they've lost at least half their suit-experienced personnel. Another issue is you no longer train with flight hardware, so the training isn't completely realistic. People used to work with real suits, but now they only see flight hardware at a distance through a layer of bubblewrap.

1. willi0000000

Re: Read the damn report before blowing off

i only have issue with one of your statements "... they tracked down all the variables ..." and, actually, with only one word of that statement. the word is "all."

the folks at NASA are good, very good, i would trust them with my life, or even my children's lives, but they are not omniscient and infallible. i sincerely hope that they checked everything that could have caused the problem with the suit but can't believe that they got all of them.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"i sincerely hope that they checked everything that could have caused the problem with the suit but can't believe that they got all of them."

They got all of the things the very best minds on our planet could think of...which is all that anyone rational can ask.

2. Don Jefe

Gene, you're either out of your mind, or out of your depth. Perhaps both?

It's funny that you tell me to read the report. Doing so doesn't seem to have benefitted you. Perhaps you just skimmed it, like you obviously did my comment. You completely completely missed the point of both.

If you would like to debate the various approaches to fault analysis and resolution confidence scoring systems, we can do that. But you need to step up your game. You are way too inexperienced for that at the present time. If you would like to apply as an intern, I always keep a couple of extra spots open. It is a great way to build your skills if problem solving and fault analysis is something you would like to learn.

It's kind of a big deal if you get into the program. I usually have five or six interns at a time, for six(ish) months and I work individually with each of them and help them put together the skills they need for a career in engineering and advanced manufacturing. It really gives them a chance to see how everything really works. NASA is a fairly big client of ours, as are Honeywell, Festool, OshKosh, Boeing, Lockheed, Airbus, Bombardier, DOE, Exxon, BP, GE, Halliburton, DiamondStar, Snap-On, GM, Ford, Caterpillar, John Deere, Siemens, Thales, Otis, NCR, DuPont, 3M, Alcoa, Textron and private companies from nearly every country on the planet. The list just keeps going.

I put the interns right in there with my engineers as they work with the clients to solve some of the most technically challenging problems on Earth. Intern pay is good, we provide private housing just outside Washington DC and all staff have a materials budget for their own projects as well as access to the shop and the multimillion dollar equipment there. I encourage you to apply for an internship. It'll be good for your career to see how we solve the worlds biggest challenges a few millionths at a time.

10. Pypes

This is great news.

Mucking about in space isn't going to get cheap until we move away from this "everything must be triple checked and triple redundant" paradigm. A bit more of a suck it and see attitude to space travel will do wonders for the human race.

The main reason Chris Hadfield is so well known is due to his habit of fucking about on the ISS, during which time he solved at least one long standing scientific problem by putting shit in a bag and shaking the hell out of it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like