The market dynamics were all wrong for folk building and supplying server boxes in 2013 - in the year that shipments reached a record nine million milestone, factory revenues tumbled. IDC is the second beancountery in as many days to publish less than flattering stats, with unit sales rising 3.2 per cent on calendar '12 but the …
An obvious solution
The problem is that the mainframe is doing the same task as it always was ago and the number of records/customers only increases slowly, so faster CPUs * same work = less machines.
Just launch a new mainframe operating system every 18months that uses twice as much CPU as the previous one to give you dancing bankers int he background. The obsolete the earlier one to force everybody to upgrade.
Cloud hyperscale growth
"The additional growth in ODM Direct sales, spurred most recently by a native data centre expansion by some of the largest device providers, will help the server market reach that tipping point faster,"
If you need 20K identical commodity boxes/year you can just set up your own production than buying it from the likes of Dell.
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- MARS NEEDS WOMEN, claims NASA pseudo 'naut: They eat less
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Vid Find using email DIFFICULT? Get someone to install 'Inbox' for you
- Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew? How long? Anyone ... Hello ...