back to article Woman claims she was assaulted in Google Glass 'HATE CRIME'

A California woman claims to have been the victim of a "hate crime" after allegedly being attacked in a San Francisco bar because she was wearing Google Glass. "OMG so you'll never believe this but... I got verbally and physically asaulted [sic] and robbed last night in the city, had things thrown at me because of some wanker …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Hate Crime?

Really? Google is going to have a real problem with public relations if all the wearers of Google Glasses are this obnoxious and clueless.

Re: Hate Crime?

If they weren't obnoxious and clueless, they'd have no interest in wearing the glasses.

Anonymous Coward

Agreed

I don't remember who first pointed this out, but Google Glass is like a Leisure Suit. It not only denotes bad taste by the wearer, but advertises that they are sleazy as well.

Silver badge
Facepalm

This is classed as a 'hate crime'?

You poor oppressed glass-hole.

EDIT: Hud got his/her post in just before mine!

Bronze badge
Facepalm

"she was able to capture some footage of the confrontation, which she started recording in the bar"

Did it come to her mind, that this could be part of the problem?

She should call herself lucky, that no one punched her in the face. I could imagine it would be difficult to extract parts of her spy glasses from her eyeball.

Silver badge

Is your problem that she was filming the assault, or is it the device she was using to do it?

She wasn't assaulted. People showed great restraint defending against an invasion of their privacy.

Silver badge

I don't think the problem is in the filming as such. With a camera or phone it's reasonably easy to tell when somebody is filming or preparing to take a photograph. Google Glass looks the same regardless of whether the user is wearing them as traditional glasses or is actually attempting photography. I imagine that it's the constant ambiguity that causes the aggravation. People act differently when they're being recorded. Just because someone is happy to behave a certain way in public doesn't mean they're happy to have it recorded for all time.

Bronze badge

@crisp: I feel that wearing that particlar device in a pub is quite offensive. Not to take it off, once people state, that they are feeling offended is either arrogant or stupid. To start taking a video after people get angry about you wearing a video device is - well, offensive. Add enough alcohol to the mix and things can go violent pretty fast.

IMHO she should call herself lucky that she only lost her purse.

Silver badge
Mushroom

"throwing wet bar towels at her"

By US standards isn't this getting off rather lightly? Given that the alternative is usually anything between a bullet, being "democratised" by an invading US army or even nuked, I think she should be quite pleased.

Silver badge

Re: "throwing wet bar towels at her"

Now, now, that would have been quite upsetting.

The bar towel wasn't even made from organic cotton!

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Trollface

And what is the condition of her cat?

:) (This post is required and must contain letters)

FAIL

Pussy, please

Presumably Mrs Slocombe was upset because the person ran off with Glass video of her stroking her pussy.

Silver badge

Re: And what is the condition of her cat?

The usual method to determine this was to phone her next door neighbour and ask him to look through the letterbox to see if he could see her pussy.

Re: And what is the condition of her cat?

It was left sodden after that unpleasant business around the back alley.

Well, people are incredible stupid. Not only in America. They fear what thy don't understand, and they understand pretty little. So did the dark ages witchhunts start. People are fucking morons, and I wish someone finally invents some level system. The low level, IQ 50 and lower, wouldn't be able to vote, drive etc. And could be legally shot if the situations requires that. In this bar, most of those shitheads meet the criteria.

But Sarahs "friend" is in trouble now, because of the Google developers agreement.

Silver badge

It must be nice being such a brilliant forward thinking spark of the ages. Would you be our messiah and show us the way? The elegance of your ad hominem is without par, the fires of your burning strawman are far brighter than any other I've seen.

Be sure to remember that your list of shitheads in the bar includes the Glasshole. "... upon her return to the bar, her purse and mobile phone were nowhere to be found." Seriously, in the Lower Haight? Left her purse and mobile on the bar and went outside, hahahahahahahaha. Really in a neighborhood with bars and metal gates across every window and door. Situational awareness, has this one ever heard of it? Yeah, just go on being oblivious to your surroundings and do your hipster thing and claim it's a hate crime.

"But Sarahs "friend" is in trouble now, because of the Google developers agreement."

Well, duh it is called breach of contract. I don't know what one expects when signing a legally binding contract and then disregards it. I buy car insurance and part of that includes a stipulation that no one under the age of 35 can drive my car. Sure, I can give the keys to the neighbor's 19 year old kid but if he does something stupid I'm out a car or worse. Sure, I can have the kid sign a contract to shift the liability but the insurance company will still likely raise my rates or cancel my policy. Maybe Google's contract is too far over the top but the "friend" is free to speak to the court or arbiter about that.

Silver badge

@OP

Fully agree, anything to stop you having the vote, driving or generally using up valuable oxygen works for me.

Silver badge

No one under 35 can drive your car?

WTF kind of off brand discount insurance do you have??

Re: No one under 35 can drive your car?

At one point my Dad's car insurance was for any driver except my brother - after my brother had 3 accidents in his first year of driving.

Anonymous Coward

High powered cars are often restricted by age for (private) insurance where I live.

My car is also a 35 and over vehicle.

Silver badge

"WTF kind of off brand discount insurance do you have??"

The nice kind that wants my business. I actually find it odd that your insurance company doesn't offer similar discounts. I also get discounts for alarms, vehicle recovery systems, airbags, traction control, defensive driver training and many other things. Maybe you should ask your insurance rep.

Bronze badge

Being assaulted is always a bad experience, regardless of whether you are badly injured or not. But, maybe she is taking the wrong message from this incident. If you are going out to places where there is a risk of assault (and these days that can be pretty much anywhere, you don't just have to walk down dark alleys), you need to keep alert to what is going on around you* to try and avoid bad situations as far as possible. I don't believe wearing your Google glasses "all the time" is going to help your situational awareness..

*Yes, I know that's no guarantee, there are people who will king-hit you from behind without warning..

Bronze badge

@Grey Ham

"I don't believe wearing your Google glasses "all the time" is going to help your situational awareness.."

An app opportunity there shurely?

GPS tracker querying a database and popping up warnings

"Did you know 5 people have been mugged on this street in the past 4 months?"

"Warning: You are entering an area where wearing Google Glass may attract bodily harm or ridicule."

"Warning: You appear to be wearing Google Glass. Please remove headset and pretend you don't have it."

Silver badge

Hate crime? PFFFFFT!

This kind of thing happens all the time;

a.Someone goes 'slumming' in seedy bars, looks like they have some bucks. (terminology: 'The Mark')

b. The 'diversion' causes a scene with the mark, drawing them out of the bar.

c. The mark returns to the bar, can't find valuables... "Nobody saw nothing, honest! Besides, you started it!"

Silver badge

Re: Hate crime? PFFFFFT!

> The 'diversion'

Look at the comments here. 90% of the commenters seem ready to assault anyone wearing Google glass, because, dontchaknow, it's completely different to film in public with your cellphone and film with google glass.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Hate crime? PFFFFFT!

it's completely different to film in public with your cellphone and film with google glass.

Actually, it is. Using a cellphone means it's visible you're doing it, whereas you can happily perv away with Google glass after judicious use of a black marker to cover the LED. Personally, I would ask someone too to remove themselves if they were wearing this thing. Or I'd start following them with a real camera for as long as I got away with it, to see how they liked it themselves.

I would have zero problems with Google glass if it recorded the user itself, but that's exactly the only person who will NOT have their data uploaded to Google - and if you have ever read their ToS you'd know it's theirs to use into perpetuity (read the "limitations" on that right properly and you'll realise they're no limitations at all). Screw that.

Silver badge

"Please don't be creepy or rude with our product"

This is a very odd statement to make. Do Google expect the glasses to mainly appeal to social misfit numpties who will go out of their way to annoy people?

I can't think of any other product that carries a statement like this.

Do short dresses have a label saying "Please show some decorum when wearing this dress." No.

Nor do iphones say: "Please don't annoy others by having long conversations with Siri."

Google obviously expect these glasses to have great twat appeal and they're probably right.

Bronze badge
Joke

Re: "Please don't be creepy or rude with our product"

"This is a very odd statement to make. Do Google expect the glasses to mainly appeal to social misfit numpties who will go out of their way to annoy people?"

Well the idea is that they'd be used by developers...

Bronze badge
Facepalm

"..Well the idea is that they'd be used by developers.."

Well the idea is that they'd be used by the masses, after this BETA period. (Although, they may keep it on Perpetual BETA phase for ever to give responsibilities a miss).

Anonymous Coward

By making that statement Google knew what they were doing. It would attract and encourage some Glassholes to actually be creepy and rude. Ordinary people, non-Glassholes, would then possibly react like they did to this stupid ditz.

Result? Free 'advertising' for Google and Glass via Twitter, Facebook, forums etc.

We're doing it now.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Anonymous Coward

This is a very odd statement to make. Do Google expect the glasses to mainly appeal to social misfit numpties who will go out of their way to annoy people?

Standard US company stuff. You should see our 'ethics course' which contains such nuggets as "you must always abide by local laws" and "refrain from making unwelcome sexual advances"

Although the pedant in me says one probably has to make at least one sexual advance before knowing whether further advances are welcome or not --- and the scientist in me says a larger sample is surely required before drawing such a conclusion.

Anonymous Coward

Although the pedant in me says one probably has to make at least one sexual advance before knowing whether further advances are welcome or not --- and the scientist in me says a larger sample is surely required before drawing such a conclusion

And that's how I lost my job as a teacher

Bronze badge

"Well the idea is that they'd be used by the masses, after this BETA period. (Although, they may keep it on Perpetual BETA phase for ever to give responsibilities a miss)."

That's correct, but the guidelines helpfully instructing people to not be creepy is meant for current Glass Explorers (or whatever fancy word is used), therefore the message was related to current users thus my joke might be weakened, but should still work...

Joke

She was asking for it

Bully Bar Patron: Shut those things off.

Irritating Bitch: No!

Bully Bar Patron: Gimme!

Anonymous Coward

Well would you let some pervert wearing Google Glasses

go anywhere near a school?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Well would you let some pervert wearing Google Glasses

Could you be more explicit, what sort of pervert are we talking about here?

Anonymous Coward

exactly. I'm a card carrying pervert, but little kids do nothing for me. Table legs on the other hand, ooOOoo baby

Silver badge

People drive past my kids school with dashboard cams all the time. What's the problem?

Anonymous Coward

Please, won't somebody think about the children...

Mushroom

This is just the beginning...

Very soon, we'll see this sort of attack being raised to racial hatred, when, in the not too distant future, over-liberal, hippy, Google funded states like California seek to classify pretentious, latte-drinking, tech-wearing, cyborg-wannabes as a racial minority.

Silver badge

Incredible piece of technology and innovation that makes my life easier

Seems to me like this piece of technology has done everything but make her life easier and it sounds more like someone from the cult of googlology has tutored her on what to say.

Bronze badge

"Woman with camera strapped to face films people being annoyed by such a thing"

Yes, perhaps this wasn't the real story this time, but I imagine we'll be hearing a lot more about this sort of thing in time.

Until this technology is in the shops, the best way to recreate the experience of this woman for yourself is to go into a crowded bar and stick your mobile phone up in front of your face filming everyone you chat to or look at...

...if that's what you think is a good night out, of course!

meh

If I'm in a bar and someone comes in and starts recording me without my approval (apart from the 17 security cameras and accidental photo-bombs of the incessant selfies of self-congratulatory students about how brave they are coming to the bars I hang out in)... oh wait, I guess it doesn't really matter if yet another wanker starts recording me in a public dive.

I'm guessing the glasses were grabbed as a very standard ploy to distract from the real theft of the purse/wallet/phone. It worked.

Silver badge

Re: meh

"I'm guessing the glasses were grabbed as a very standard ploy to distract from the real theft of the purse/wallet/phone. It worked."

Sure, except now there's video of the one suspect, and probably his friend lurking about in the bar at the same time. Should make at least one arrest pretty easy, and then the fun US justice system of 100 million years unless you plead guilty and dob in everyone else comes into its own...

Bronze badge

Odd then that...

In the heat of the moment that she seems to have had the whit to reduce the assailants personalities down to "ugly, nasty, angry, jealous, confused and threatened" - but no awareness at all that she was the victim of a sting operation to relieve her of her handbag and wallet.

What a dimbo.

Bronze badge

glasses

Raises an interesting point, I've never broken any glasses or anything, but get through 1 or 2 pairs a year, purely by losing them when drunk

but if they were high-tech and liable to sell well on ebay they're probably very easy to snatch off someone's face compared to nicking an iphone, which was a craze for a long while, and that's in your hand which has the ability to grab..

i think the lesson is don't take them to bars, i don't even take my smartphone to pubs in case i drop it or get mugged (i go out in middlesbrough..)

Anonymous Coward

Re: glasses

How drunk are you getting to lose your glasses?

Perhaps the lesson should be don't get so drunk then you won't be loosing 2 pairs a year?

Anonymous Coward

Re: glasses

loosing != losing ffs

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums