back to article Wilocity uncloaks 4.6Gb/sec Wi-Fi for next year's smartphones

Wilocity, pioneers of high-speed "WiGig" 60GHz Wi-Fi, has used the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona as the debutant ball for its 4.6Gb/sec chip for smartphones, formerly codenamed "Sparrow" and now formally dubbed Wil6300. "The huge performance boost offered by 802.11ad, operating in the 60GHz band, combined with massive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JeeBee

I presume this is good for things like wireless video streaming, where you could put your phone/tablet down near to your TV and use it as a lossless wireless display that can actually cope with video, games, etc.

It's only about 120 times faster than my internet connection supposedly is, so it's certainly not for that!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Yes 802.11ad is really targeted at "in-room applications" having an effective unobstructed range of 10m. You've hit on one identified application area, the other is in more flexible peripheral connection and sharing by mobile devices and enabling PC's to wirelessly connect to peripherals at sensible speeds.

2. channel extended
    Unhappy

Wifi Tracking.

I see this as more an attempt to build a more accurate tracking system. With no protection of personal data this allows tracking and ID.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like