back to article Say WHAT? Qualcomm, MediaTek scrap over who has best 'marketing gimmick' octocore

Qualcomm launched its first 8-core processors at Mobile World Congress this week, after last year describing octocore chips as "a marketing gimmick". “You can’t take eight lawnmower engines, put them together and now claim you have an eight-cylinder Ferrari," Qualcomm's senior VP Anand Chandrasekher said last year. "We don’t do …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Lovely hardware

But they never release enough hardware-specific source to compile new kernels, so support for older chips disappears as soon as the next shiny comes along and there's nothing anyone (hobbyists, phone manufacturers) can do about it. That's why MT6589 still stuck on Android 4.2.1 - no-one can build KitKat for it so far.

Silver badge

Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the fucking vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened—the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, fuck it. We're going to five blades.

- http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/

Silver badge

And yet I still get a better shave using the 2 blade when I can find it. I find the 5 4 and occasionally even the 3 blades get clogged up with hair after the first shave. Still usable for a few weeks but nowhere near as comfortable and getting worse each time. The 2 blade? Run it under the tap and boom, clog free and works like a dream.

Silver badge

agree

Luckily you can still get my 2 blade razor of choice (WK FX Diamond) on Amazon and Ebay as countries other than ours have refused to engage in this stupid arms race.

Yeah

I want my Octo Whopper Come on Burger king !

Silver badge

Desktop class processing

All day battery life

The times. They are changing.

Anonymous Coward

It's all marketing BS

This is not much different than Larry Ellison saying "cloud is marketing BS" and now Oracle's forced to be a "cloud platform" and "database as a service" just as much as everyone else.

Silver badge

"We understand this much better than Qualccomm," says former Qualcomm marketing guru Johan Lodenius, speaking to The Register today. The current MediaTek CMO adds: "We know those markets better; now we see Qualcomm doing an 8-core, something they said it was dumb - who's in the lead now?"

Wouldn't it be delicious if he was still at Qualcomm when the statement he's criticising was made.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums