Feeds

back to article Nokia launches Android range: X marks the growing low-cost spot

Three years after it announced a switch to Windows Phone, Nokia launched a family of Android-based phones today at Mobile World Congress 2014. Nokia's new X family of mobes... The first three devices revealed today at Mobile World Congress adopt the same strategy Amazon has with Android: use the open-source base and develop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Trollface

Heh

Can't help laughing, really.

For three years we've been hearing NOKIA SHOULD MAKE ANDROID LOL and now they have and... it's absolutely dire.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Heh

" it's absolutely dire"

So all the aspiring 'middle-class' in these countries will buy one, see one, read reviews and think "Nokia - no way am I buying one of those/another of those " and get something else. Good plan !

Silver badge

^ Arguably, this is better than simply not knowing that Nokia exists. And don't forget that the X is not going to compete with Samsungs or iPhones, but with brands you have never even heard of, because they simply don't try to sell their crap products in rich countries.

Silver badge

4", 800x480, 768MiB RAM and a microSD slot!

Damn, better get my Desire HD back out, apparently it's the latest thing...

Please, in order to keep with the non patronising new language now being use, you should not say "rich countries" but "mature markets".

thank you.

Maybe, but in my humble opinion, this is the first batch only.

Watch the news about new Nokia Android phones coming soon in the West and elsewhere. Windows Mobile is terrible from my one week experience, so it is only logical they finally switch to a suitable platform.

Anonymous Coward

At least it looks like a Windows Phone. That should a few if it's cheap!

I can just see the marketing droids hard at work now: "You too can now pretend you have a real Windows Phone OS, not a slow clunky inefficient mess full of security holes and malware like Android...."

Trollface

Re: NOKIA SHOULD MAKE ANDROID

Neah, it's "Microsoft now making Android."

I guess they are planning to phase out WinPhone and WinRT both with this fork of Android.

Silver badge

> "Microsoft now making Android."

Except they're not. MS don't own Nokia yet and have no control over what Nokia choose to do.

Silver badge

Your Desire HD was a high end (high priced) phone, not a budget one like these. How do the specs compare to similarly priced Android devices? (And before anyone brings it up, the Moto G is more expensive. On that note, should I rubbish the Moto G? After all, it's no better than my 2 year old Galaxy Nexus. But, my Nexus was a high end phone at the time.) Alternatively, this is a huge jump from the similarly priced Asha devices they replace.

Also a nice baseline from a development point of view - there are loads of 480x320 or even 320x240 256MB RAM phones still out there that develops have to support (unfortunately Google Play doesn't make it easier to block based on RAM or resolution).

And there is a 5" device too (not to mention ppl often seem to whinge about wanting smaller phones), and I thought we all hated the lack of microSD on some phones...

Anonymous Coward

Windows Phone, the new burnt platform. With no marketshare and no apps, it's not hard to see why they are turning their back on it.

This is the death knell for the Windows Phone platform.

Silver badge

>Windows Phone, the new burnt platform. With no marketshare and no apps, it's not hard to see why they are turning their back on it. This is the death knell for the Windows Phone platform.

Tell the truth, AC - you've got a macro for that, haven't you?

Anonymous Coward

But I suspect Microsoft own Mr Elop...

Anonymous Coward

"With no marketshare and no apps, it's not hard to see why they are turning their back on it."

I guess you must have missed that Windows Phone is at over 10% market share in a number of countries now including the UK? Or that it grew nearly 100% in the last year? Or that it now has over 200,000 apps?

Anonymous Coward

"I guess you must have missed that Windows Phone is at over 10% market share"

No, didn't miss that, but everyone knows it's totally untrue. Do you REALLY believe 1 in 10 people own a Window Phone? That's utterly laughable, and quite clearly total bullshit.

2% at best back in the real world. At guess what, when you sell sod-all, it's really easy to double your sales. Chuck a handful in a skip and voilà 100% increase in shipments...

You sir have been sucked in by Microsoft spin.

Silver badge

I guess you must have missed that Windows Phone is at over 10% market share in a number of countries now including the UK…

No, we didn't. We called the Kantar figures bullshit at the time and IDC backed us up.

Silver badge
Holmes

Hmm .. I wonder if there's any connection between Elop not getting the CEO job and him allowing this to happen whilst installed as Ballmers trojan.

"..MS don't own Nokia yet.."

They owned it when Mr. Elop joined Nokia :)

Keeping that aside, as a human being, why'd they launch a product that looks more likely foot in mouth if they are not supported by the soon to be new masters?

And news from the same day also suggested that they are going to pursue it aggressively:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/24/mwc_2014_new_nokia_android_phones_coming_europe_toikkanen/

They wouldn't replace WinRT and WinPhone with a better alternative, that I can accept though :)

Anonymous Coward

IDC confirm that the UK market share of Windows Phone is over 10% - and that Windows Phone grew global market share year on year by 156%!

Anonymous Coward

"Do you REALLY believe 1 in 10 people own a Window Phone?"

Clearly you are of limited education and don't understand that market share relates to a percentage of sales.

I the UK at least it can't be far off in terms of installed base either - loads of people have Windows Phones now - i see lots around the city - they are increasingly replacing Blackberrys for instance.

I have to agree with this, because I've only ever seen 1 surface tablet and 2 windows phones ever. This is includes train travel, and people sitting, I don't have binoculars but I do think "LOL, twat".

The surface one was the most inspiring, she got it out and put it on the back of the fold-out-table on the train seat, then it started up, I could make out a desktop, she leaned foward and selected something an after a few seconds a word thing animated like Vista reincarnated to the maximised state and the ribbon bar looked tiny, it couldn't have been more than 2 cm tall and I've seen those things with a lot of info on them.

She then shut it down. I did wonder what the point was, perhaps she wanted to do work but ...

Anyway yeah startup time was like that of my phone, perhaps she was doing it wrong (standby?) but still, haunting experience. I must say (having become a samsung whore at the quality of the S4's screen and buying new screens because none seemed good compared to it - new Nexus 7 was dissapointing) the screen wasn't very vibrant.

Anyway! Yeah I see a lot of Samsung SXs, a lot of iPhones, the odd nexus phone, some HTCs (less than I used to!) I've only ever seen one HTC one, but yeah only ever 2 windows phones, I've seen more adverts,

I seriously doubt it is 10%, unless it's not evenly spread out and somewhere 10% of the population all live in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory where nobody ever comes out to show off their awful attempt at turning windows into a brand. Maybe it was a 10% increase? fuckall*1.1 ~ fuckalll.

BTW I'm upset, I thought "Nokia phone with Android!" - I've actually wanted one of these for years, but I'll be honest, it looks worse than what Samsung do to Android (Touchwhizz nearly made me cry when I got my S4 - CYANOGENMOD STAT!) and the specs... I get it's not a phone for the UK, but I had such hope when I clicked the link.

Anonymous Coward

Actually windows Phone grow market share by 156% last year according to IDC!

Silver badge

> Actually windows Phone grow market share by 156% last year according to IDC!

You are being highly selective in picking that figure. It is true that there was a rise from 2012Q3 to 2013Q3 in _shipments_ of that percentage, but 2012Q3 was when WP7 was dead ended and WP8 was not yet available.

You also clueless as you do not know the difference between 'shipments' and 'market share'. As the total shipments increased overall by 40% between those quarters then the 'market share' rise was considerably less.

The _actual_ 'grow market share last year' was 46%* from 2% to 3%.

* From 2012's 16m of 695m total to 2013's 33.3m of 990m.

Silver badge

> Windows Phone grew global market share year on year by 156%!

I'll quote an adjacent message, seemingly from yourself:

"""Clearly you are of limited education and don't understand that market share relates to a percentage of sales."""

Clearly you are of limited education and don't understand that 'market share' is not 'number of units shipped'. The 156% is the increase from 2102Q3 _shipments_ to 2013Q3 _shipments_ and is _not_ the 'grew market share'. The difference is that the whole market grew 40% (from 695m to 990m).

You couldnt make it up!

I started reading with optimism and joy in my heart but by the end i find my self slowly pawing at my S4, knowing it will become an S5

Hey look, it's the worst of both worlds, well done!

Bronze badge

And by implication the death of S40

So another non US controlled phone operating system bites the dust.

Be amusing if Jolla rush out a version of Sailfish for them. (Assuming there is any of the internal design remaining from the past.)

Anonymous Coward

You guys are biased

It could turn out to be best of both the worlds.

Whats not to like at those very attractive prices ?

Anonymous Coward

Re: You guys are biased

But the look isn't so much "attractive price" as "Fisher Price".

Silver badge
Megaphone

Re: You guys are biased

Me want brite yello one.

Me stand out with brite yello cheap fone.

People point at me when I pull out brite yello phone.

ql
Bronze badge
Linux

Can't help wondering...

...If they'll sue themselves for distributing a system that might infringe on those mythical 235 patents.

Silver badge

... the new, less patronising way of saying "emerging markets"

.. which used to be the less patronising way of saying "all those (relatively) poor people".

Facepalm

Utterly desperate move

(True) Android is the platform Nokia should have launched 2-3 years ago, not Windows Phone, but they got that badly wrong.

Now they're launching this bastardised platform rather than the real deal: part Android, part Microsoft software, yet incompatible with Android and requiring developers to port their apps, do Nokia never learn?

The company has become a total joke under Elops stewardship, lurching from one bad "burning platform" decision to another - the guy couldn't pick a winner even if there was only one platform option.

And when Microsoft completes the acquisition of Nokia, I would be surprised if this Nokia platform lasts longer than the Kin.

Re: Utterly desperate move

I like the idea of Nokia keeping Symbian and Meego (or Sailfish) alive much more than yet another large phonemaker becoming Google toy.

Silver badge

> (True) Android is the platform Nokia should have launched 2-3 years ago, not Windows Phone, but they got that badly wrong

Yeah! Nokia could have been rolling in all that sweet, sweet money everyone makes from Android, just like Motorola and HTC! Right?

>And when Microsoft completes the acquisition of Nokia, I would be surprised if this Nokia platform lasts longer than the Kin.

On that score, I agree with you.

It's not as if Android is even any good on cheapo hardware, or as if this thing cost much less than the Lumia 520 which is, y'know, quite well reviewed.

Silver badge

Nokia have already "ported" my apps without me doing a thing.

No porting is required unless there's a dependence on some specific Google thingies. Note this isn't like Blackberry (which was a different OS running some kind of Android VM/emulator), it *is* Android. Different UI, but that's no different to apps I develop on my Nexus running on Samsung Touchwiz or HTC Sense. It's true there is a risk that simply getting developers to release apps on a different site is a hurdle, though I think Nokia have advantages over Amazon - it's much cheaper (1 euro one off fee, versus $99/year), they're starting with an existing base of developers already on Nokia (whether through Symbian or S40 - smaller than Google Play, but better than what Amazon had to start with). It's more appealing from a matter of principle (IIRC Amazon wanted a locked-down device that only worked with Amazon, where as these devices will work with 3rd party sites and sideloading - just not Google Play, because Google don't allow than unless you comply to all their terms - if they released a "normal" Android phone, would they be able to have Nokia and MS services installed all over it?). Of course it isn't going to get anywhere near the numbers of Google Play, but it's marketed at the people currently buying S40/Asha devices.

I also don't get the burning platform thing. Symbian was discontinued, WP isn't. I suppose technically the Asha platform is, but I don't get why people are suddenly loving S40/Asha over Android...

Although I do agree, if they've shown they are capable and willing to use Android to make their own platform, it's a shame they didn't do this 2-3 years ago as the Symbian replacement.

Bronze badge

"Yeah! Nokia could have been rolling in all that sweet, sweet money everyone makes from Android, just like Motorola and HTC! Right?"

Why do you think that Nokia can compete with Samsung's Windows phones but not with their Android's ones?

Silver badge

Because Samsung's Windows Phones are a) boring and b) marketed from a locked filing cabinet in a disused toilet with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".

Honestly, it's like they really didn't want to sell any of them.

Anonymous Coward

Nokia practically are Windows Phone in terms of the hardware OEMs. With a declining HTC and Samsung merely dipping its toe in WP it left Nokia to dominate.

There's no way Nokia would have dominated the Android world with Samsung and their dirty tricks.

Anonymous Coward

Samsung's WP devices aren't popular. But in Android land they're some of the best selling devices.

Silver badge
Mushroom

In a month or two Nokia as an MS division would have access to WP for free, presumably. I can only assume that WP sales are so bad in developing markets (i.e. non-existent) that launching a new Android-based platform to avoid paying WP royalties then having MS wipe it out in a month or two is more profitable.

As for the new platform itself. If it's got drop-in replacements for most Google Play Services, as Amazon has, then it'll work, as Amazon does.

I wonder who would be mad enough to hire Flop after this.

Bronze badge

So, the point is Nokia can only compete with Sansumg where Sansumg can't be bothered to compete?

If that's the case then Nokia migth as well stop making phones....

Which, now that I think of it, they are about to.

Silver badge

Although since it's not using any of Google's services or closed source apps, they (presumably) won't have to abide to any of Google's licences or conditions. They're using Open Source Android, with Nokia services on top.

It's a shame to see Symbian and Meego go, as well as that nothing came of the rumoured Meltemi, but I think it's good to see something new Android based at the low end, but distinct from Google.

Silver badge

> Why do you think that Nokia can compete with Samsung's Windows phones but not with their Android's ones?

Because Microsoft give Nokia $1 billion a year to support the Windows Phones.

This means, for example, that the 520 can be sold at or below cost.

"..Microsoft give Nokia $1 billion.."

Oh, and they told me that Windows is not a free OS..ba****ds!

Anonymous Coward

"..Microsoft give Nokia $1 billion.."

Nokia gave them more than that back in license fees...

Silver badge

>> "..Microsoft give Nokia $1 billion.."

> Nokia gave them more than that back in license fees...

If that were the case then the license fee is $30-$35 per phone (approx 30million phones in 2013). Because the agreement ends soon then this would have become an additional direct, unsubsidized, cost. Add the margins and the retail price would have to rise $50 or so. The market share would collapse, especially at the low end.

This Android/Nokia X is obviously a 'Plan B' because even Elop knew that WP8 was unsustainable. High hardware cost because of the limited and fixed range of older SoCs (8.1 does add one newer one), higher software costs when the subsidy ends, failing market share.

No wonder MS had to buy Nokia phone division.

Silver badge

How can MS make something hated more than Win8? Welcome to Wandrows8.

But, but..

It's butt ugly, dire and Nokia is becoming obsessed with Microsofts model of bringing devices to the market that have no clue what market they should be in...Xbone, win phones, windows 8.

Xbone..is it a games machine or an entertainment device because it does neither well

Win Phones..are they actually a competitor or do Microsoft really think that butt ugly UI is going to gain traction combined with the Windows on the tin thing=FAIL

Windows 8...need i say more?

Message to Nokia shareholders, YOU FAILED WITH THE MICROSOFT IDEA

Just get a cheap android and put a free metrocrapUI app on it if you are that desperate to look an utter plank

Silver badge

Re: But, but..

> Xbone..is it a games machine or an entertainment device because it does neither well

^^

This user did not get a Titanfall invite.

Oh well. Enjoy your PS4.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.