back to article Australia's digital technologies curriculum published after two-month delay

Australia's first-ever Digital Technologies curriculum has been released, after a two-month delay. The curriculum was scheduled to appear in December 2013, but the federal government's decision to review the national curriculum meant the Standing Council on School Education and Early Childhood decided not to approve it at its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Denarius
    Unhappy

Wonderful

when do they learn to read and write, basic maths, a bit of exercise ? And what businesses said they want these skills ? How many actually need them ? One wonders if educational systems around the world have been infested with clones of Steve B.

2. Diogenes

Can somebody please translate these phrases into english ?

"analyse the properties of networked systems and their suitability and use for the transmission of data types” and “use structured data to model objects and events that shape the communities they actively engage with"

or

evaluate their solutions and existing information systems based on a broad set of criteria including connections to existing policies and their enterprise potential. They consider the privacy and security implications of how data are used and controlled, and suggest how policies and practices can be improved to ensure the sustainability and safety of information systems

Well actually I am happy with structured data to model object and events - that I do understand

and "evaluate their solutions and existing information systems based on a broad set of criteria"

and "they consider the privacy and security implications of how data are used and controlled,

The rest is gobbledygook & if I get up at a subject selection evening and spout that nonsense for year 9/10 I will soon be out of a job !

3. daveh86
    Devil

And who exactly is going to teach our tykes this stuff?

I don't recall any of my teachers (grad mid 2000s) being savvy in the broad sense of many of the topics called out.

I can't imagine anyone who is capable of adequately "develop[ing] modular solutions to complex problems using an object-oriented programming language[s]" being willing to work on a teachers salary. Let alone pass these skills on to 15-16 year olds.

1. Pu02
      Go

Re: And who exactly is going to teach our tykes this stuff?

Which is why I pointed out "We need this kind of curriculum 20 years ago, as well as training for the teachers- to avoid a mistake of the past that continues to be made in modern teaching to this day"

4. david 12 Silver badge

WTF ???

Link to August 2013 document actually links to an August 2012 document. The "new curriculum document" links to a February 2013 document.

Either an old article has been mistakenly taken off the spike, or the old references have been mistakenly copied from an old source.

5. Glen Turner 666

Computing is needed to understand the modern world

Folks, computing is the new mathematics. Just as the development of symbolic manipulation opened completely new fields of science, computing is now starting to do the same. You simply can't understand the modern world built by science and engineering without understanding computing.

Embedded computers are changing the hard elements of engineering too. You can't build a car without a computer. In a few years you'll have computers changing the gears on your bike.

This is my objection to the curriculum. As you can read above the curriculum is very focused on Information Technology. There's very little computing and very little about computing devices. It's all about how to use computing to do administrative tasks.

In short you'll end up with a classroom where everyone has a smartphone but no one can tell you it's anything other than magic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like