back to article Dropbox unblocked in China ... for now

Sync 'n’ share service Dropbox is available again in China almost four years after the Great Firewall decided to block it, but it may struggle to pull in punters given the large number of local rivals that have launched in the meantime. Dropbox was banned by the authorities in May 2010 in a typically Chinese way; without …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

If they're anything like us

The Chinese government can now view the dropbox traffic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Living in china i've been using dropbox on and off over the last year anyway. I'd rather put my files in china where they actually tell you beforehand that they have the right to look at your shit than in the west where they tell you they don't, but then illegally do it anyway. I'm sick to death of government personnel being able to commit crimes and get away with it purely because the rest of the government who would be responsible for it don't investigate it - the cps - the police - whoever. The point is that here there is at least a pervading honesty about the government. It is well known what they do and don;t do and when they expect you to bend over and take one. In the west it's rape. Over here it's consent, and if i don't agree (as an expat) at least i can go home and get raped.

3. drunk.smile

It's been unblocked for at least a year, maybe longer

I use it all the time to transfer files from the UK to China and back to my family. They understand it more than the mostly Chinese language alternatives.

4. Nifty Silver badge

Does this say something about the strength of Dropbox's cryptography?

5. pix30

It's never really been blocked

Yes - the website has been blocked (unless you use a VPN), but the desktop and mobile clients have always worked fine. I've been in China for three years and have never had an issue using Dropbox. It's a little more difficult to sign up for a new account or use the web front end (hint: search term - VPN), but not much more so.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am in China and G_Drive works, just slowly....

I am in China and G_Drive works, just slowly....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like