More FAS info has percolated out through the walls of NetApp's community and we can have a stab at positioning the coming FAS8000s against the existing range - and there's a surprise. FAS Range with FAS8000 Flash is VST (Virtual Storage Tier) flash. Click chart to embiggen it and save your eyes. See our rough positioning …
Damn this NDA! These FAS stories are quite frustrating today having watched the partner briefing. yesterday. Unfortunately I don't know what public source you've used so can't even hint at the right direction :)
"Add in new controller processors and you get a big jump in performance"
Why does this myth persist ? Oh we went from dual to quad core etc therefore we're now twice as fast..... it's rubbish..
New CPU's are more about cost of acquisition and providing headroom for future capabilitues if you don't reoptimize existing code then you'll see only minimal performance benefits.
Why would they need a new 6290 equivalent when the story is scale out now? The new boxes are clearly designed with the IO for scale out cluster mode so the requirement for a big scale up box will die with 7 mode.
That's my theory at least, they may be saving a fas8080 for the summer for all I know but I don't see how it would help fill any reasonable needs.
- Put down that Oracle database patch: It could cost $23,000 per CPU
- DAYS from end of life as we know it: Boffins tell of solar storm near-miss
- The END of the FONDLESLAB KINGS? Apple and Samsung have reason to FEAR
- Pics It's Google HQ - the British one: Reg man snaps covert shots INSIDE London offices
- Bose decides today IS F*** With Dre Day: Beats sued in patent spat