Feeds

back to article China's smartphone market slows down

The juggernaut that is the Chinese smartphone market slipped a gear for the first time in 27 months in 2013's fourth quarter, declining 4.3 per cent from the previous three months, according to IDC. The bean counter’s Asia/Pacific Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker revealed that 90.8 million units were shipped in the last quarter in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Slowing down?

Actually it sounds more like there is a pause because rumours are now being circulated that an iPhone 6 is in the pipeline and slated for release in the summer.

Silver badge

Re: Slowing down?

Rumors or not, I think everyone has Apple's release cycle figured out by now. Anyway, Apple's sales percentage in China isn't large enough to change growth into contraction even if every iPhone owner in China sits still waiting for the iPhone 6.

The pause is more of an issue for those competing on the low end of the smartphone market, because those customers have less money and are less likely to see a reason to upgrade until their phone breaks or becomes way out of date.

Going from 3G to 4G isn't enough of a reason to upgrade in my book, when LTE was added where I live I didn't notice any real difference in performance from HSPA+.

Re: Slowing down?

"The pause is more of an issue for those competing on the low end of the smartphone market, because those customers have less money and are less likely to see a reason to upgrade until their phone breaks or becomes way out of date."

The pause is more of an issue for those competing on the low end of the smartphone market, because those customers have more money because they are less likely to see a reason to upgrade until their phone breaks or becomes way out of date.

i.e. They are just much, much smarter.

FTFY.

This topic is closed for new posts.