Feeds

back to article Ethiopian journos hit by Hacking Team spyware, say infosec bods

Ethiopian journalists in the US were targeted by malware sold exclusively to governments by the Hacking Team company, according to security researchers. Staffers at Ethiopian Satellite Television Service (ESAT), an independent TV, radio, and online news outlet run by Ethiopian ex-pats, was targeted repeatedly by spyware in late …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Consequence

I presume detection and removal of RCS will swiftly be added to all major anti-virus and anti-spyware packages now that misuse has been identified.

Bronze badge

Sounds like the stuff isn't that good if some journalists figured out what was going on.

Silver badge
Meh

But... But...

it was never intended to be used that way.

M7S
Bronze badge

Possible explanation

Is it possible that such software has been "liberated" from such agencies in the same way as Snowden liberated documents, where lax controls seem to have not been much of an impediment?

I just wonder if a different agent/ex-agent with few scruples might have thought this could be a useful means of supplementing their meagre pension. I have no idea if the legitimate purchasers are required to do some kind of online registration when installing such stuff. I rather think they'd object to the IP/system type info that this would give a contractor so perhaps not, in which case once in the wild its rather free to replicate. Even dongles can be stolen and probably copied by those in such agencies with the right tools.

This topic is closed for new posts.