back to article FIGHT! Semiconductor heavyweights debate government's role, gloves come off

At this week's normally staid International Solid-State Circuit Conference (ISSCC), during a discussion of government's role in the development of technology, voices were raised and numbers were tossed about as debate grenades. The dispute took place during the audience Q&A of a panel session discussing the future of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hud Dunlap
    Mushroom

What about the Americans who need jobs?

From the Article

The current US immigration system makes it exceptionally difficult for foreign students, after their US studies are over, to remain in the country to ply their trade, create startups, or go to work for companies in need of their services.

We don't need them here. We don't need H1B visa's. Too many Americans are unemployed or underemployed. Don't tell me the foreign students and engineers are smarter. I work with too many of them.

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
      Facepalm

Re: What about the Americans who need jobs?

@Hud Dunlap

Yeah ... send the wretched refuse back to their teeming shore.

2. Herby

Be Afraid, very afraid!!

When someone says: "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help you."

As said by a wise person: "Government is not the solution, Government is the problem!".

Here in the USA, we just need to look at the last 5 years! I just remember that when money flows through a government agency (taxes in, grants, etc. out), there are major inefficiencies in the process. That along with the "strings attached" make it a pretty bad deal. I will admit that some things have worked out (very few). These include the USA's interstate highway system, and to a certain degree NASA. Unfortunately the list of failures far exceeds the successes. Life goes on, death and taxes.

1. strum

Unfortunately the list of failures far exceeds the successes

That would be Microsoft, would it?

This topic is closed for new posts.